Pre-med To Scientist Back to Pre-med, WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GTown

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My stats are as follows: Do I have any chance anywhere?

Undergraduate Degree from a big state school: B.S. in Molecular & Cellular, Bio, Chemistry Minor, Graduated in 2009

Undergraduate science GPA: 2.9 (my mom passed away just as I was starting college - it was a difficult adjustment in addition to which I picked my non-science classes imprudently)
My GPA suffered due to an attendance based D+ in a foreign language class which I continued to take the rest of my time at college and got A's in all subsequent semesters
Also I got C- in Gen chem 1 and 2 (I was having difficulty attending classes with my mom having just passed away - lost a loooooot of attendance points despite getting A's on my exams)
Other than that A's and B's in Orgo, Biochem, upper level science classes.

Graduate Degree from A Top tier east coast school: M.S in Biochemistry and Molecular & Cellular Bio, Graduated in 2011

Graduate GPA: 3.6

Most recent MCAT Score: 30R

Publications: 4 publications since finishing graduate school

Clinical Experience: I've shadowed in private practice and teaching hospital settings

Volunteer Experience: I continue to volunteer with local homeless shelters, educational programs and civic advocacy programs

Work Experience: I've been working since finishing graduate school as a research scientist in the pharmaceutical industry in drug development

LORs: I have letters from undergrad professors, grad school professors, and the physicians I've shadowed in both private practice and teaching hospitals

I'm currently in the process of studying to take the new MCAT. That said I wanted to know how I should proceed:

Should I retake gen chem from freshman year of college that I got a C- in and still continue to apply for Fall 2017?
Should I consider a post-bac program?

I'm not exactly sure what my options are and how to proceed. Any help and advice would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard that 3 Michigan schools and LSU will consider graduate gpa's on par with undergrad grades. Other schools will consider Undergrad gpa's much more heavily.
You may want to look into the AACOMAS grade replacement policy to bring up your undergrad gpa which is a screen-out at the moment for most schools, MD and DO.

As an aside, MSTP programs are even more competitive than regular MD...

Reactions: 1 user
I have heard that 3 Michigan schools and LSU will consider graduate gpa's on par with undergrad grades. Other schools will consider Undergrad gpa's much more heavily.
You may want to look into the AACOMAS grade replacement policy to bring up your undergrad gpa which is a screen-out at the moment for most schools, MD and DO.

As an aside, MSTP programs are even more competitive than regular MD...

Thank you for reply! I am planning on retaking Chem I and II by the end of this year and continuing to apply to DO schools. I'm only interested in DO and any MD programs that will have me. Which Michigan schools if you don't mind my asking?

I'm also taking the new MCAT in July.

I don't know if I should retake any other science courses - I have only As and Bs in my core requirements barring gen Chem. Should I?

Thank you for reply! I am planning on retaking Chem I and II by the end of this year and continuing to apply to DO schools. I'm only interested in DO and any MD programs that will have me. Which Michigan schools if you don't mind my asking?

I'm also taking the new MCAT in July.

I don't know if I should retake any other science courses - I have only As and Bs in my core requirements barring gen Chem. Should I?
I have been told that Central Michigan University, Michigan State University (if you have 16 credits) and Wayne State University (if you have 20) will consider graduate degree units as if they were a progression of undergrad. You will need to check the MSAR for IS bias if you are not from MI, though.