Pre-Med Vs. High School Clique..Noticeable Correlation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clique

• Total voters

Chemdude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Jock or Nerd?

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen both in med school. 1/3 jocks 2/3 nerds?

I've been surprised the amount of people I have been able to coninhabit and associate with. There are more racial/ethnic cliques at my school than anything. It really doesn't fall on the stereotype of the person's character (jock, nerd, cheerleader, prep).

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I was a nerd/wannabe/loner...things have changed

I've been surprised the amount of people I have been able to coninhabit and associate with. There are more racial/ethnic cliques at my school than anything. It really doesn't fall on the stereotype of the person's character (jock, nerd, cheerleader, prep).

Agreed. People seem to hang out with people based on their skin color than their character. Not to say the latter doesn't matter.

Wait are you asking what *I* am or how I would classify other pre-meds??? :confused::confused::confused: Or other high schoolers?

So confused....

Wait are you asking what *I* am or how I would classify other pre-meds??? :confused::confused::confused: Or other high schoolers?

So confused....

i think what the poll is getting at is... which group were you in in high school?

i too was a nerdy jock. but only skiing and track.

The majority of us were nerds...that wasn't expected:rolleyes:

I graduated with 11 other people so I don't feel like there were any cliques, lol.

lol..did you go to school on the moon? Did your high school have a population of 23 people?

So, what exactly is a "wannabe". Perhaps my regional lingo is different from yours. Does it mean "want to be with the 'in-crowd'/cool people"?

I was never in a "clique." I had a very diverse group of friends both in high school and in college. I try to be as warm and open to everyone I meet and I try to make sure nobody feels left out. I guess as a pre-med, I can be considered a "nerd" since I would get excited over learning new chemical or biological processes, but in any other sense... im a person like any other. I think being too "clinqy" is a bad thing, since you will miss out on a lot other people have to offer. If you feel that you tend to be grouped into the same "clique" as always, I encourage you guys to explore new territories and expand your horizon with a new set of unique and interesting friends not around you. Just my 2 cent.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with post above. I was not in a clique, i hung with everyone.

So, what exactly is a "wannabe". Perhaps my regional lingo is different from yours. Does it mean "want to be with the 'in-crowd'/cool people"?

The wannabes were the insecure kids that tried to act cool by following the orders of the popular/prepy kids.

I was a jock-nerd, also was preppy.

Thats me too! And I still am. The thing is that I dont come off as a nerd, and people assume that I possess all of the sterotypical "jock" qualities. My gf of two years admitted to me that when she first met me she was very turned off b/c she just assumed i was stupid....*sigh* Luckily my charm eventually won her over and she realized I had some intelligence :D

I was never in a "clique." I had a very diverse group of friends both in high school and in college. I try to be as warm and open to everyone I meet and I try to make sure nobody feels left out. I guess as a pre-med, I can be considered a "nerd" since I would get excited over learning new chemical or biological processes, but in any other sense... im a person like any other. I think being too "clinqy" is a bad thing, since you will miss out on a lot other people have to offer. If you feel that you tend to be grouped into the same "clique" as always, I encourage you guys to explore new territories and expand your horizon with a new set of unique and interesting friends not around you. Just my 2 cent.

My high school experience was the complete opposite; it's almost as if the curriculum was structured in way to make sure that there was no interaction between different catagories of people.

I am/was a jock.... Lift weights, hookup with hot girls, dress nice, goto clubs...

In high school, I was a pretty big jerk to a lot of people...mostly nerds...who we would throw against lockers walking down the hallway...or knock **** out of their hands...or take their glasses and toss them back and forth...just generally be evil mean kids to them for no reason...

I think theres a little continuation of cliques in college, but not as much as HS and people dont "pick on" people in college...I think everyone is content to do their own thing and respect one another ALOT more...I am really regretful for the way that I treated people in HS...

I am/was a jock.... Lift weights, hookup with hot girls, dress nice, goto clubs...

In high school, I was a pretty big jerk to a lot of people...mostly nerds...who we would throw against lockers walking down the hallway...or knock **** out of their hands...or take their glasses and toss them back and forth...just generally be evil mean kids to them for no reason...

I think theres a little continuation of cliques in college, but not as much as HS and people dont "pick on" people in college...I think everyone is content to do their own thing and respect one another ALOT more...I am really regretful for the way that I treated people in HS...

I remember the football team taking rounds urinating in this girl's locker. A lot of people did ******ed things in high school. High school was "hell" for some people.

I went to a performing arts magnet school where we were all divided by 'majors', so the social groups were more based on what major you were than anything.

We were all pretty much artsy goth kids. lol

I remember the football team taking rounds urinating in this girl's locker. A lot of people did ******ed things in high school. High school was "hell" for some people.

Yea I know...and I feel bad that I made it hell for a lot of people...I actually found one of the kids on myspace that I particularly tormented from 7th grade until graduation...I wrote him like a 2 page apology saying how immature I was and that I did some really mean stuff, and I really regret being such a prick and making your life hell for 6 years.... He read the message and never replied...So I assume im at the top of his jock hit list...

Yeah, I don't fit neatly into any of those cliques. I can justify a part of me that would fit in every one of them.

So I assume im at the top of his jock hit list...

I'm envisioning the crazy guy on Billy Madison crossing you off his list and then putting lipstick on, hahaha.

I'm envisioning the crazy guy on Billy Madison crossing you off his list and then putting lipstick on, hahaha.

SO WAS I!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol I had that movie in my head when I was writing him that apology....besides i mean i was legit sorry for it too..

Yea I know...and I feel bad that I made it hell for a lot of people...I actually found one of the kids on myspace that I particularly tormented from 7th grade until graduation...I wrote him like a 2 page apology saying how immature I was and that I did some really mean stuff, and I really regret being such a prick and making your life hell for 6 years.... He read the message and never replied...So I assume im at the top of his jock hit list...

:laugh:. I know this guy who was picked on throughout all of high school. Now he is huge: he can bench 350. It could be possible...

I think "gang members"/"hoodlums" should also be on the list as well. I certainly don't fit in that category, but people do change over time (from high school law-breakers to physicians).

I think "gang members"/"hoodlums" should also be on the list as well. I certainly don't fit in that category, but people do change over time (from high school law-breakers to physicians).

If hoodlums was up there that's what I would have checked. First, of all I love that word; and secondly, I was quite the little hellraiser.

Yea I noticed you left out that option as well...I went to HS with quite a few kids in the suburbs who were "homies".... wear flat brim hats, XXXXL white tee's, listen to rap music, and end every sentence with the word "yo..."

I thought the gang members/hoodlums=Stoners?

Seemed that way at my school....They would walk around the cafeteria asking everyone that passed them, "Yo man, you got a dolla?" You would never see them in class and they would always be "smoking it up" in the woods nearby. I specifically remember a kid named Joey who had one gigantic eye that was not proportional to his other eye...I think he has 4 children now.

Yea I noticed you left out that option as well...I went to HS with quite a few kids in the suburbs who were "homies".... wear flat brim hats, XXXXL white tee's, listen to rap music, and end every sentence with the word "yo..."

:laugh:...There was also a time when they all wore XXXXL pink tee's. I didn't understand it. 2 weeks before, if you wore pink, you would be declared a flamboyant homosexual; after that week, wearing XXXXL pink tee's became super cool.