Pre-Med with Accounting undergrad major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kozak

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Here's my situation:
  • Accounting major for 3 years already
  • 4.0 gpa major, 3.9+ overall
Through some volunteer / community service experiences I've realized I might enjoy the medical career path.

Would an accounting undergrad in any way be a benefit or a problem for me in applying to medical school?

Also, would it be better for me to complete the pre-req in my university (taking an extra year to get the undergraduate degree) or to finish whatever I need for the accounting degree and doing a post-bacc program? I have physics and math completed at my university already.

Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

I was in the exact same situation at the end of my junior year except as an Econ major.

As long as you fulfill all of the science requirements, med school admissions committees don't care what your major is. At least you won't be a cookie-cutter bio major!

Your only real obstacle will be getting research experience. However, it can be done.

Best of luck!

Edit: I'm not sure whether you should do your premed req's in college or at a post bac... Other members should probably know.