Pre-Medicine Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saswimr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a freshman at a school with no pre-medicine club. I am interested in starting one with another medical school hopeful. We have been discussing it for some time and have some great ideas. I would love to hear what other clubs such as this do, and present to their members. Any input would be much appreciated, and yes i realize how much work it would be to start it. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! My name is Kurt and I am from NCState. I will be the President of our Premed/Predent club next year. I will tell you a little about our club. Each member must obtain points to stay an active member.

Active Club Member: 8points
Active AED Member: 10points
AED Pledge: 12points
Semester Prior to pledging: 10points

Each event that a member attends will receive 1 point and occasionally 2 points. our events include the following:

Meadow Brooks Nursing Home- time spent with alzheimer patients

Woodland Terrace- Volunteer and play BINGO and other activites with the nursing home

The Raleigh Boys and Girls Club- Tutor and play with kids of all ages

Governor Morehead School for the Blind- time spent with kids, tutoring, and playing games

Tammy Lynn Center- Spend time with children that have developmental disabilities, play games..etc...

Adopt-A-Highway

Faces: spend time tutoring and helping kids

Points are received by going to those events. Also AED is Alpha Epsilon Delta Pre-med Honor Society. Look up this information in Yahoo. They may tell you how to get this established at your school. It is very interesting and looks good for med schools. as far as all that goes...here are the positions that you need!! First find an Advisor to Advise your club. This is usually a Professor that is really interested in medicine and helping med students.

Advisor
President
Vice President
Treasurer
Secretary
Pledge Coordinator for AED
Pledge Coordinator for AED
Publicity Chair
Web Page Designer
Historian
Maybe a represtitive for your College

These are the positions that we hold. Also for every meeting we have some type of doctor, dean of admissions, former students, professors, advisors, and many many more people to come and speak to inform the club about the medical field or dental field and even begin preparation for the MCAT. Well this is a run through but if you have any more questions just post them or email me!! I'll help you out!! [email protected]
My name is Kurt and goodluck!!
kurt

To me, the whole "point" systems seems like too much of a hassle as far as creating a club goes.

My guess would be that you need to first speak to a Student Affairs/Student Life person at your school.

They will probably tell you that you need a Constitution or some sort of bylaws for your club.

You will also need officers, dues, and meeting times as well as an advisor.

Get those things in order and I don't think you will have any trouble starting the PreMed club. All it takes is one interested person and a willing advisor.

Once you have the basics down, you can start looking for community service projects, guest speakers, and MCAT workshops.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Good Luck.

------------------
Joshua Paul Hazelton
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)

Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly!! You've got to get the club started first then worry about the rest..I just wanted to give you some details as to how our club works. Start the club as JPHazelton stated then go from there. There has to be a point system or some system that keeps the club going..such as requiring service hours from students or points. That way once someone joins then they have to stay involved to be a part of the club.
thanks, k

thank you both for the help. It has helped me alot. I was wondering how you get the MCAT help. Do you just get faculty to teach certain parts, or do you have a special MCAT reviewer. Also do the students get credit for these MCAT sessions, if so how do you go about organizing that. It is going to be alot of work, but it is definetely worth doing. Thank you again.

We Just had a few speakers that taught the MCAT from Kaplan come and speak to us! Go to www.kaplan.com and there should be information there about when signups start and where the locations are. As far as the class goes..you pay for it and you take it..i think its mostly held on saturdays and sundays..and i here at state i know they don't give you credit for it. I guess I'll find out the answers to most of these questions soon because I'll be taking Kaplan soon enough!! Keep it real..lata!!
k