Would quitting a club E-Board position after a year look bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed_1234

Reaction score
Sorry if this is rant-ish, but I'm entering my second year of college this fall, and I'm currently on the E-Board of two legitimate (non-clinical) clubs at my school. I've actually held one of the positions since the start of my freshman year — I had been eyeing the club the summer before school and saw they had an opening, so I applied and got it. I was honestly pretty happy for my first few months in that club, but the productivity of the more senior leaders waned as the year progressed. There were lots of internal conflicts, quite a few high-up people stopped attending meetings altogether and quit or got fired, issues with school administration, etc.

We now have new leadership going into next year, and I myself was promoted to a pretty high-up position a few months ago, but I am still worried about the path the organization is taking. I do my best to put the work in, though I often have to step into other people's roles because they don't carry their own weight. I won't dive too much into it, but my new supervisor is also pretty problematic. He makes big club decisions without consulting anyone on E-Board but then blames everyone else for any issues that arise, hires unqualified people (his friends) to random E-Board positions, expects others to carry their weight, etc.

Right after I got promoted there, I was also chosen to become a paid TA for a couple courses in the fall. I'm pretty excited about that opportunity and want to dedicate more of my time focusing on that, as well as my research and the other club I am helping lead (really enjoy that club). I'm starting to think that quitting the first position makes a lot of sense if I want to maintain my grades and sanity, but I'm worried that leaving a leadership role after a year is going to reflect poorly on my application and character, and make me look weak. I just want to focus more on my studies and activities that are more relevant to my career and happiness, whereas I kind of joined this club on a whim and got super involved (easily put a few hundred hours in already).

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm currently on the E-Board of two legitimate (non-clinical) clubs at my school.
These often are of limited value. Quit if you want to. The time is better spent gaining clinical experience or helping your community off-campus. Or just to give yourself a breather.

Reactions: 1 user
These often are of limited value. Quit if you want to. The time is better spent gaining clinical experience or helping your community off-campus. Or just to give yourself a breather.
Makes sense, and that's what I figured.

I spent a good amount of time volunteering with elderly patients off-campus last year and enjoyed my work there. I don't have any clinical hours planned in the fall at the moment, mostly because of my commitment (likely 15 hours/week this upcoming year) to this club. If I were to leave, I'd even have time to return there or perhaps start volunteering in hospice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Makes sense, and that's what I figured.

I spent a good amount of time volunteering with elderly patients off-campus last year and enjoyed my work there. I don't have any clinical hours planned in the fall at the moment, mostly because of my commitment (likely 15 hours/week this upcoming year) to this club. If I were to leave, I'd even have time to return there or perhaps start volunteering in hospice.
Don't overexplain on your application, just put the start and end dates of this activity.

Reactions: 3 users
Sorry if this is rant-ish, but I'm entering my second year of college this fall, and I'm currently on the E-Board of two legitimate (non-clinical) clubs at my school. I've actually held one of the positions since the start of my freshman year — I had been eyeing the club the summer before school and saw they had an opening, so I applied and got it. I was honestly pretty happy for my first few months in that club, but the productivity of the more senior leaders waned as the year progressed. There were lots of internal conflicts, quite a few high-up people stopped attending meetings altogether and quit or got fired, issues with school administration, etc.

We now have new leadership going into next year, and I myself was promoted to a pretty high-up position a few months ago, but I am still worried about the path the organization is taking. I do my best to put the work in, though I often have to step into other people's roles because they don't carry their own weight. I won't dive too much into it, but my new supervisor is also pretty problematic. He makes big club decisions without consulting anyone on E-Board but then blames everyone else for any issues that arise, hires unqualified people (his friends) to random E-Board positions, expects others to carry their weight, etc.

Right after I got promoted there, I was also chosen to become a paid TA for a couple courses in the fall. I'm pretty excited about that opportunity and want to dedicate more of my time focusing on that, as well as my research and the other club I am helping lead (really enjoy that club). I'm starting to think that quitting the first position makes a lot of sense if I want to maintain my grades and sanity, but I'm worried that leaving a leadership role after a year is going to reflect poorly on my application and character, and make me look weak. I just want to focus more on my studies and activities that are more relevant to my career and happiness, whereas I kind of joined this club on a whim and got super involved (easily put a few hundred hours in already).

What do you guys think?
You completed an academic year in your e-board position. You did not quit midyear. It’s fine to move on.

Reactions: 1 users