Pre-optometry Undergrad

Winggirl2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm a third year in college hoping to get my bachelors in bio during the next couple of years. I have All the pre reqs for optometry done with a gpa of 3.2 science and over all 3.3ish. I just need to retake my oat. What are my chances of getting in without a bachelors?? Please provide Advice, it will greatly be appreciated!! ( and if it's negative please don't be rude about it) Oh and I'm planning to apply for the 2016 cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

I think with those grades you will get interviews at least, depending on the other aspects of your application. Sure GPA is important and an indicator of success, but it is not everything, and they know that. You say you need to retake the OAT, what are your goals and are those goals realistic for the OAT? With a well-rounded application with good letters of evaluation and good experience shadowing optometrists, you definitely have a chance of getting in at least somewhere. I don't know any of these things about you, but you already know your GPA will not carry you through, and you will need to prove that you understand what you are getting into and that you are capable and willing to make the necessary sacrifices to succeed.

I think with those grades you will get interviews at least, depending on the other aspects of your application. Sure GPA is important and an indicator of success, but it is not everything, and they know that. You say you need to retake the OAT, what are your goals and are those goals realistic for the OAT? With a well-rounded application with good letters of evaluation and good experience shadowing optometrists, you definitely have a chance of getting in at least somewhere. I don't know any of these things about you, but you already know your GPA will not carry you through, and you will need to prove that you understand what you are getting into and that you are capable and willing to make the necessary sacrifices to succeed.
Thanks so much for the feed back. My realistic goal for the OAT is 300+ on each section with a TAA ranging from 320-330. I also have recommendation letters and experience from an optometrist and an optomoligist. How many hours of shadowing would you recommend?

You want enough hours to make sure you know what it would be like to be an optometrist. Shadowing 30 - 40 hours should be enough to give you an idea of what your life would be like. It would be even better if over this time, you saw some patients with unusual cases or that have disabilities to see how the optometrist handled it. In 30 hours you should see at least a few like that. These would be great things to bring up in an interview. It really comes down to whether or not you can prove to admissions committees that you do know what it is like to be an optometrist, and that it is for you.

Reactions: 1 user