jamaria

Reaction score
My OAT is in 1 week. I’ve spent probably 4 months studying on top of working full time. Ive taken several practice exams and took the ADA practice exam today. I was hoping to score a LOT better and I’m very discouraged especially with my physics score.

Bio/GenChem/Ochem/Physics/RC/QR
KAPLAN 1 270/230/250/230/300/300
KAPLAN 2 270/320/290/250/310/320
ADA 310/330/330/280/-/370

My GPA is awful at a 2.88. I’m non-traditional: graduated 4 years ago, had several personal issues and poor choices in undergrad, lost all motivation and drive. I was a young student yet graduated with my bachelors at the age of 20. I was young, immature, and didn’t know what I wanted.
I’ve spent the last 2 years retaking classes with nothing but As and a couple Bs, though unfortunately it’s much easier to wreck a GPA than fix it.
My experience is fantastic - I’m a certified ophthalmic scribe whose entire career has been shadowing ODs and MDs in a high volume ophthalmic practice with several specialities. 6,500+ shadowing hours. I’ve also gone on an optometry mission trip in a 3rd world country. My recommendation letters come from a previous president of the optometric association (an OD), the CEO of our practice (also an OD), the ophthalmologist who opened the practice who has numerous “Best Doctor” awards, a professor, and another specialty ophthalmologist.

I’ve been so stressed out wanting to do well on my OAT to cloud my horrible GPA. These practice scores have me extremely discouraged and I’m looking for some advice, reassurance, thoughts or opinions. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

My OAT is in 1 week. I’ve spent probably 4 months studying on top of working full time. Ive taken several practice exams and took the ADA practice exam today. I was hoping to score a LOT better and I’m very discouraged especially with my physics score.

Bio/GenChem/Ochem/Physics/RC/QR
KAPLAN 1 270/230/250/230/300/300
KAPLAN 2 270/320/290/250/310/320
ADA 310/330/330/280/-/370

My GPA is awful at a 2.88. I’m non-traditional: graduated 4 years ago, had several personal issues and poor choices in undergrad, lost all motivation and drive. I was a young student yet graduated with my bachelors at the age of 20. I was young, immature, and didn’t know what I wanted.
I’ve spent the last 2 years retaking classes with nothing but As and a couple Bs, though unfortunately it’s much easier to wreck a GPA than fix it.
My experience is fantastic - I’m a certified ophthalmic scribe whose entire career has been shadowing ODs and MDs in a high volume ophthalmic practice with several specialities. 6,500+ shadowing hours. I’ve also gone on an optometry mission trip in a 3rd world country. My recommendation letters come from a previous president of the optometric association (an OD), the CEO of our practice (also an OD), the ophthalmologist who opened the practice who has numerous “Best Doctor” awards, a professor, and another specialty ophthalmologist.

I’ve been so stressed out wanting to do well on my OAT to cloud my horrible GPA. These practice scores have me extremely discouraged and I’m looking for some advice, reassurance, thoughts or opinions. Thanks in advance.
I've heard kaplan tests to be much harder than oat, don't sweat it. I also take my oat in less than 2 weeks. All, I have to say is keep pushing forward and have a positive mindset, it's a marathon not a sprint. Also, I would recommend you make a cheat sheet of equations or mnemonics if you got any time. Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
I've heard kaplan tests to be much harder than oat, don't sweat it. I also take my oat in less than 2 weeks. All, I have to say is keep pushing forward and have a positive mindset, it's a marathon not a sprint. Also, I would recommend you make a cheat sheet of equations or mnemonics if you got any time. Good luck
Thank you - i'm hoping I can earn scores all above 300s and I think i'll be okay. I wish you luck as well! I've found the formula sheets available from DAT Bootcamp to be very helpful.

I would say that the actual OAT was easier than the Kaplan tests and very similar in difficulty to ADA. I also think that there are a few mistakes in the 2006 ADA so you may want to search that up as well! Chad has some pretty good physics equations sheets that were all I needed on the exam. Good luck!