Pre-PA to Pre-PT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PAthleticism

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

First and foremost, I'd like to say that I have been a lurker in this forum for a little while now. Just a back story on my situation... I am a Navy Vet who has been on an accelerated track to get into a PA program (Currently a senior in college). I've done a lot of self-reflection lately and feel myself slowly pulling away from the PA profession.

I have shadowed PAs and worked as an MA, so I have seen what the work environment entails. From what I have gathered, PAs aren't as respected as they should be, and the conservative climate makes me feel as if I can't be myself. I felt much more comfortable and genuinely happy working as a Physical therapy Aide than I did as a Medical Assistant. Just knowing the personality traits I have, I feel as if being a PT is more my speed. I genuinely have a passion for exercise, rehabilitation, and helping others better themselves physically and mentally. The money doesn't matter to me, I want to be happy with what I am doing, and I feel like PT is where I will feel fulfilled and passionate.

So what I am asking, I guess, is where do I begin? I have been so invested in becoming a PA that I put blinders on everything else in life and eventually burned out. I have separated myself from the grind, and I feel like I'm more than ready to pursue a different path in my life. Any resources or words of encouragement would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

As someone going into PT school, I would advise against switching away from the PA path. I would suggest trying to find someone to shadow in orthopedics, sports medicine, or Physical Medicine and Rehab. These are all areas you should try to experience as they are very similar to PT in some regards and are areas in which you can practice as a PA. Even if after practicing in these fields you find out you don’t like it as much as you thought, you can always shift to different settings without much hassle from what I know from speaking with PAs.

Reactions: 1 user
As someone going into PT school, I would advise against switching away from the PA path. I would suggest trying to find someone to shadow in orthopedics, sports medicine, or Physical Medicine and Rehab. These are all areas you should try to experience as they are very similar to PT in some regards and are areas in which you can practice as a PA. Even if after practicing in these fields you find out you don’t like it as much as you thought, you can always shift to different settings without much hassle from what I know from speaking with PAs.
Do you mind elaborating? I have my mind pretty much set. I personally don't believe that I will enjoy the environment of a PA.. I have shadowed a PA in ortho. What about PT makes you think I should steer clear? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I would shadow those other areas, mostly because you are so far along and are almost in PA school which is 2 years and then you can start working with patients which is awesome. If you turn around last minute and switch to PT, you will have to possibly complete more pre-req courses while also obtaining shadowing hours in physical therapy. Furthermore, you’d have to convince admissions why you all of a sudden last minute switched career paths, which they may not like as they could think you may do the same with PT and drop out of school. If you are really torn between the 2 fields, I say finish up everything you need to do as an undergrad for PA school and shadow more PTs and PAs in different settings for each while finishing up. You should make the most informed decision possible to decide which path you wanna pursue. Also, know some of the cons of PT (longer school, usually more debt, lower starting salary, etc.).

I think you should do what you will be happiest with, this is your life and your career. Plenty of people make career changes, I don't personally feel that this will prevent you from getting into a DPT program. I would begin with looking at DPT programs and figuring out if you have all the required prerequisites. Continue working as a PT aide if you can to gain hours, as well as looking for shadowing opportunities in other PT settings (acute care, pediatrics, SNF, et.). Talk to other PTs and try to build relationships with them as you will need letters of recommendation. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I assume that your major would fulfill a majority of the DPT prereqs, but double check programs and take those as extra courses on top of your curriculum. That way you don’t have to pay extra money later on to do prereqs and just in case you change your mind later on about PT. I took 15 credits per semester during my last 2 years of college taking different science/psych courses because I was on the fence about different career paths. I’m not sure how an accelerated track works in terms of dropping out of it and taking extra courses so maybe talk to an advisor about that.

As far as DPT resources, you should check out preptgrind, they have a website, Facebook group, as well as a tiktok lol they offer virtual observation hours about 2 times a month I believe. They also give insight on the whole application process, great advice, and have podcast interviews/motivational videos. Also definitely check out APTA website for a list of accredited DPT programs. Best of luck to you!

I think you should do what you will be happiest with, this is your life and your career. Plenty of people make career changes, I don't personally feel that this will prevent you from getting into a DPT program. I would begin with looking at DPT programs and figuring out if you have all the required prerequisites. Continue working as a PT aide if you can to gain hours, as well as looking for shadowing opportunities in other PT settings (acute care, pediatrics, SNF, et.). Talk to other PTs and try to build relationships with them as you will need letters of recommendation. Good luck!
I assume that your major would fulfill a majority of the DPT prereqs, but double check programs and take those as extra courses on top of your curriculum. That way you don’t have to pay extra money later on to do prereqs and just in case you change your mind later on about PT. I took 15 credits per semester during my last 2 years of college taking different science/psych courses because I was on the fence about different career paths. I’m not sure how an accelerated track works in terms of dropping out of it and taking extra courses so maybe talk to an advisor about that.

As far as DPT resources, you should check out preptgrind, they have a website, Facebook group, as well as a tiktok lol they offer virtual observation hours about 2 times a month I believe. They also give insight on the whole application process, great advice, and have podcast interviews/motivational videos. Also definitely check out APTA website for a list of accredited DPT programs. Best of luck to you!
Thank you both for the response and resources! The only prerequisite that I am currently missing is Physics II which I just planned to take for the spring semester. I also will have to take the GRE and start gaining some more hours/relationships with PTs! Correct me if I'm wrong, but the cycle for 2021-2022 opens in June or July?

Thank you both for the response and resources! The only prerequisite that I am currently missing is Physics II which I just planned to take for the spring semester. I also will have to take the GRE and start gaining some more hours/relationships with PTs! Correct me if I'm wrong, but the cycle for 2021-2022 opens in June or July?
Yes! I highly recommend having your application ready to be submitted by August or September to take advantage of rolling admissions. The earlier they get to see your application, the better your chances of acceptances.

Hi! I switched from PA to PT in my junior year of college and have been accepted to three schools so far this cycle (one is a top ten school). Don’t let your journey throw you off! Many schools actually loved hearing that I deeply explored other healthcare professions BEFORE committing to PT because it showed that I know exactly what’s out there and what I want. Not to mention that I had amazing experience with patient care as a CNA, which most pre-PT’s don’t. I think this helps you stand out as an applicant, where lots of applicants had decided PT early, didn’t explore different healthcare options, and only work as a PT tech, etc. You sound so much like me and I am getting into amazing schools. Also, I had much higher level classes for PA than I needed as well as had already completed the pre-reqs for PT (very similar pre-req). The fact that I had some upper level biochemistry and organic chem classes showed my academic integrity with a rigorous class schedule. I even got a letter of rec from my graduate level biochem professor which I think really showed schools I am able to handle hard courses, which is ultimately what they want to have good stats. You got this!!!