Pre-Pharm 2nd Year Low GPA ADVICE PLEASE!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kolten Johnson

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new to this website but I need some major help. Here is my situation. I am currently a sophomore. I transferred in spring semester 2016. Summer 2016 I tried to take Chemistry 1 but I had to drop it due to family emergency. Fall 2016 was the first year I took science classes, I took Bio 1 and Chem 1. I ended up with D's in both classes. So I am going to retake Spring 2017 semester however, the college I go to doesn't replace the lowest grade, it just adds it to GPA. For example the 2 D's will forever be in my GPA and if I get A's in Bio 1 and Chem 1 it'll just be added to my cumulative GPA, however I took chem lab also but I got a B and I took stats I got a B in that also. My current GPA is around a ~2.7. I am extremely concerned if I even have a chance anymore because I messed up so bad. Should I even consider pharmacy after getting 2 D's in two intro classes or should I just see how this semester goes and decide from there? Assuming I get all A's my GPA this semester will be bumped to a 3.1. I have some retail pharmacy experience but thats all. What should I do everyone? I am super stressed about my current situation. I feel like I am kind of behind and I don't even know when I should start studying for the PCAT, probably 2018 summer but according to my current schedule ill only have Ochem and Genetics done by then. I would still have Ochem 2 and Microbio left! Please I need some encouragement or some advice on what I should. Thank you for everyone who responds in advance and helps me get through this!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, I am new to this website but I need some major help. Here is my situation. I am currently a sophomore. I transferred in spring semester 2016. Summer 2016 I tried to take Chemistry 1 but I had to drop it due to family emergency. Fall 2016 was the first year I took science classes, I took Bio 1 and Chem 1. I ended up with D's in both classes. So I am going to retake Spring 2017 semester however, the college I go to doesn't replace the lowest grade, it just adds it to GPA. For example the 2 D's will forever be in my GPA and if I get A's in Bio 1 and Chem 1 it'll just be added to my cumulative GPA, however I took chem lab also but I got a B and I took stats I got a B in that also. My current GPA is around a ~2.7. I am extremely concerned if I even have a chance anymore because I messed up so bad. Should I even consider pharmacy after getting 2 D's in two intro classes or should I just see how this semester goes and decide from there? Assuming I get all A's my GPA this semester will be bumped to a 3.1. I have some retail pharmacy experience but thats all. What should I do everyone? I am super stressed about my current situation. I feel like I am kind of behind and I don't even know when I should start studying for the PCAT, probably 2018 summer but according to my current schedule ill only have Ochem and Genetics done by then. I would still have Ochem 2 and Microbio left! Please I need some encouragement or some advice on what I should. Thank you for everyone who responds in advance and helps me get through this!!
Keep your head up and retake the classes. But question..how are you a sophomore and you just started taking science classes? Did you know pharmacy is something you wanted to do from the start?

Anyway, if you retake the classes and still do bad I would find another major. If the intro science classes were difficult for you then Chem 2 and Orgo will be really hard, and pharmacy school will be really, really, really hard. Not trying to scare you, but being honest! Best of luck to you.

If I get A's in both bio and chem, I'll continue doing pharmacy, i just dont wanna be behind & referring to your question earlier I did all basics my first year at a community college then came to my university spring and had to take some random classes because everything was filled. I really want to do pharmacy, do you think if i start doing well in my science classes, such as chem 2 , ochem, bio 2 and genetics I should continue pharmacy. I will definitely update this post after retaking thoses classes this semester spring 2017.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do as best as you can from now on, and don't worry about being "behind". Take your time, as it's better to spend an extra year in undergrad than to have a heavy courseload and get bad grades or take the PCAT too early and get a bad score.