Pre-Pharm a bad idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hellopeople

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I spent some of my time in the last few months going over possible career choices and I ran into pharmacy. It seems to be a fairly good job; good pay, good hours, nice working environment, ect. I would even be studying in the field of science which I enjoy. Here's the problem, some people in my family are convinced this is a very bad option for me because mail order prescriptions are going to cut demand so much that getting a good job in the field will be near impossible soon after graduation. What you you guys think of this phenomenon?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Whatever. Don't listen to them. There will always be a demand for quality pharmacists. If pharmacy is interesting to you, then YES it is a GREAT career.

I agree and if the demand eventually shifts to mail order pharmacy (which I cannot imagine why that would happen because I used to work for one and they did some horrific stuff with prescriptions:eek:) then there are other areas that you could go into with that degree other than retail...

Whatever. Don't listen to them. There will always be a demand for quality pharmacists. If pharmacy is interesting to you, then YES it is a GREAT career.

Members don't see this ad :)
If that were the case then why are there still shopping malls... I mean after all, there are online stores for every place you can think of.

Yeah I think there will be lots of pharmacy jobs still in the future. There wouldn't be so many of us applying if we thought that was true! People outside pharm also have this perception that computers can do everything a pharmacist can do. Not true either or anytime in the near future. I suggest you get some experience and get to know the profession some more. Figure out what the cons are (ie not always a nice work environment). There's a lot of pharm jobs outside of retail also. Look into other professions you are thinking about and decide where you would be most happy.