Pre-Pharmacy advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

livex3free

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am about to enter my sophomore year at a CC. I've got a few nessecary Pre-Pharm Reqs out of the way, but I had a change of heart as far as major, in my first semester. I have a few questions. 1. Should I transfer and get my BS in Biology from a University? 2. My heart is set on University of Colorado, and I was wondering if I should earn my AA degree and then the rest of my Pre-Req's from the University of Colorado. 3. I have free in-state tuition for undergraduate programs, however, as soon as a leave the state, I will be relying on financial aid and loans. Going to an out of state pharmacy school, how much should I expect a monthly payment ammount after I graduate. I just need some advice on where to go from here. I already have a competitive GPA and am an officer in the CC honor society. Also, #4. I noticed a lot of Pre-Pharm and Pharm majors work as pharmacy technicians, should I pay to get my certificate? Please advise. I'm having to handling college on my own with no parental support to fall back on.

Thank you for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

I noticed a lot of Pre-Pharm and Pharm majors work as pharmacy technicians, should I pay to get my certificate?

The importance is the value of the work EXPERIENCE, not just the certificate saying you passed a test. Get some pharmacy experience - if that means working for a retail store and getting your cert, then so be it. Otherwise, don't waste your money. I put in volunteer time in a hospital pharmacy and that seemed to work out ok for me.

I dont think it will hurt to apply and transfer to get your B.S. It's becoming excruciatingly competitive to get into pharmacy school without a B.S (yes there are exceptions) but holding one gives you a great advantage (unless its a requirement). If you really want to go now instead of wait, then you could apply but also send out an app to transfer in the case you dont get accepted. I also think you should take advantage of the free instate tuition IMO :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Like the previous poster said getting an B.S will make you very competitive. If it helps I've been accepted to University of Colorado. I do not have an associates (thought it was a waste of time), I completed my all my pre-req's at a community college in Phoenix, Az. I also do not have a Bachelors obviously :)
On the other hand it is getting harder and harder to do this every year. If you'll be applying next year, it might be fine, especially since your in-state. Also to keep in mind, they require Biochem as a pre-req and admissions told me that all their CC's in Colorado no longer offer a transferable Biochem class. So you would have to transfer to a University to complete that pre-req.

I didn't get certified or work as a pharm tech, instead I volunteered at a local hospital pharmacy for almost a year. That could be an alternative to trying to find a job as a pharm tech.
The reason I went the route I did is because I knew I was applying this year and not in a few years down the road. I also wanted to save money for pharmacy school instead of spending it on undergrad work. The CC I went to is a top one, and all credits transfer equally to all AZ Universities (include U of A, ASU, NAU). Usually their are more AZ CC students accepted to U of A Pharmacy school than their are ASU students.

In the long run it all depends on your circumstances and what other strength you'll have in your application. Good Luck !

Hello,

I am about to enter my sophomore year at a CC. I've got a few nessecary Pre-Pharm Reqs out of the way, but I had a change of heart as far as major, in my first semester. I have a few questions. 1. Should I transfer and get my BS in Biology from a University? 2. My heart is set on University of Colorado, and I was wondering if I should earn my AA degree and then the rest of my Pre-Req's from the University of Colorado. 3. I have free in-state tuition for undergraduate programs, however, as soon as a leave the state, I will be relying on financial aid and loans. Going to an out of state pharmacy school, how much should I expect a monthly payment ammount after I graduate. I just need some advice on where to go from here. I already have a competitive GPA and am an officer in the CC honor society. Also, #4. I noticed a lot of Pre-Pharm and Pharm majors work as pharmacy technicians, should I pay to get my certificate? Please advise. I'm having to handling college on my own with no parental support to fall back on.

Thank you for your time!

#1 - You certainly will not be harmed by having a BS in Biology (or anything else really). Not having it, however, could preclude your attendance in many pharmacy schools.

#2 / 3 - Do you currently live in Co (I.e., by attending UoColo will you still retain your residential benefits?). If so, it seems like you answered the question for yourself. Obviously the best course of action for you, the path of least resistance, would be to go to U o Colorado. Does Co have any "transfer admission agreement" program like here in California?

Also in 2/3, and sorta just thrown in there, was a question about a pharmacist's salary after graduation from pharmacy school, if I am reading that post correctly. There's already excellent threads on that topic in this forum and I suggest a use of the Search function for your answer there. Also, you can visit www.bls.gov, the Bureau of Labor and Statistics for some research opportunity.

#4 - In my opinion, the CphT is not really very difficult, and a little preparation goes a long way in passing it. However, your state might require you to have an actual COURSE in order to work as a pharmacy technician, and possessing the cert. alone won't mean anything. Make sure you check into that. I was able to pass the PTCE after studying the Mosby's book and taking 2 practice exams from PTCB's website.

Good luck on your decisions.