Pre-pharmacy questions and advice on the app process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmk78

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, right now I'm deciding whether or not to change career paths, following my unsuccessful attempt to get into medical school on my first try. I'm thinking of pursuing pharmacy school instead, which I had always been interested in. I was wondering if anyone could give me some quick, candid advice on some questions that I have regarding pre-pharmacy and the application process (of course eventually I will research all this info. myself and seek my advisor's advice on the following).

1) Do pharmacy schools use a central application (i.e. similar to the AMCAS)? What is the deadline for applying for Fall 2008? And does it require Letters of Rec?

2) Is the PCAT required for most schools? I understand California schools don't require it? Do you have to take it at least a year or more prior to attending pharmacy school?

3) What are some recommended extracurricular activities that pharmacy schools like? Are they similar to med school (i.e. research, internships, shadowing, volunteering)?

4) Is it necessary or just recommended to work as a pharm tech prior to applying to pharm school? Do you think you're more likely to be accepted if you have been working as a pharm tech?

5) Finally, this is for anyone who applied to the Univ. of Hawaii Hilo pharmacy school - what were interviews like and what do you think the acceptance rate it? (I understand that it is a brand new school that's why). Also, is it even accredited?

Thanks for any info. that you can provide.

Members don't see this ad.