Pre-pharmacy school advice

Started by alabamaqc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

alabamaqc

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone! I'm glad that I found this forum. It is extremely helpful. I'm currently in Alabama and also interested in pharmacy. I plan to get a B.D in either Chemistry or Biochemistry major first and then apply to a pharmacy school. I'm thinking about applying to Samford pharmacy school, a private school. I really need some advices. My questions are:
1. Is there any advantage for me if I attend to Samford for Chemistry major before applying to pharmacy school there?
2. Would it be better for me if I attend to this school instead of cheaper uni. like UAB which saves money? I have a part-time job now. I'm planning to save money for pharmacy school 'cause my advisor said pharmacy program was tough and I might not be able to work in the first few years.
I'm not an outstanding student. I have a 3.9 GPA and only a few club activities and volunteer work. Pharmacy schools are very competitive. So, I'm afraid if I'd get less chance to get into pharmacy school comparing to students who are currently attending to Samford.
Thank you for your adivces!
 
Attending a school for undergrad before applying to a higher degree program can sometimes be favorable, but there's no hard and fast rule on it. It's not rude to call the office of admissions and ask bluntly if they can tell you anything on that topic.

Some schools will freely admit that they prefer students from within their university system; others might say there's no bias, and yet others might tell you to quit calling. 😉

As far as cost goes, I can only speak my opinion: I would go to the university that made me happier as a student. A good student body with a wealth of opportunities for participation in organizations, etc, is something I would look for, but you might be different.

Good luck!