Pre-post bacc advice? (music major)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spartyflyer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN-

I'm a senior about to enter my last semester of undergrad. I'm a piano performance major at a Big 10 university. I want to maximize my chances at getting into one of the top post-bacc programs, and any advice would be appreciated.

I anticipate graduating with a 3.9 GPA, although I transferred after my first year, and my GPA in my first year was 3.54, mainly due to a nasty ear training/aural skills class. I've had a great run in undergrad, including two formal study abroad experiences for music in Italy, one festival in Poland, and winning my school's concerto competition (against several doctoral students,) amidst many gratifying performances and collaborative experiences. I'm an instrument-rated private pilot and on the e-board (VP) for a university aviation club.

I am taking next year off to improve my resume with volunteering, shadowing, taking a few math and non-core science classes, and attempting to somehow integrate music and medicine in my volunteering. I plan to apply in the fall of next year.

A big weakness is that I currently have no volunteer experience. I am beginning to volunteer starting next semester, and plan to have ~150 hours by the time I apply to post baccs.

Does this plan seem sound? I would like to apply to JHU, Goucher, Bryn Mawr, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Why do you want to be a doctor?

Why do you want to be a doctor?

Hi Gurby,

I'm obviously at the beginning of this journey, and I'm sure my thoughts will develop as I have more experiences.

I'm drawn to medicine because I have a deep love for both science and humanity. I chose music in undergrad because for me it is the most pure expression of the human condition. (Science and music have always been awe-inspiring for me) However I also have an intense interest in science, biology, and the body and how it works. The relationship between doctor and patient is important and appealing to me, as is the fact that doctors must be lifelong scholars and critical thinkers. I want my life to contribute to the greater good of helping other human beings, using science to preserve and heal the beauty of the human spirit.

I feel that committing myself to such a rigorous profession that requires constant adaptation and learning in order to serve patients at the highest level is a way to be the best person I can be.

I realize that at this point with limited exposure to the practice of medicine it's largely based in concept. I hope that I'll have experiences before matriculating, or even during a post bacc experience that will reaffirm and clarify my feelings. This is just as much a reason for my taking a year off.

For now, though, I'm just hoping I have a good shot at entering a good post bacc.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a fellow music major, I would just say that you should keep in mind the overall "story" of your application and your journey from music to medicine.

Right now it sounds like you have very little clinical exposure, very little volunteering. Jumping directly into a formal post bacc without these things feels questionable. It feels much more believable if you do some shadowing and gain exposure beforehand, so you can talk about how those experiences were a factor in your decision. The reason clinical experience is important on an application is that it shows you know what you're getting yourself into, and that you enjoy being around patients. If you wait until you're in the middle of an expensive formal post-bac to get this experience, it's obvious that you've pretty much made up your mind already and are just doing it to check off the box.

After typing up the above paragraph, I re-read your first post and see that you are taking an entire year off to build up those aspects of your application before applying to post-bac's. Good! I think you will have a lot of success if you play your cards right!

Reactions: 1 users
Sick and injured people...they're not part of your calculus???????

Start this path by doing some volunteer work, OK?

Hi Gurby,

I'm obviously at the beginning of this journey, and I'm sure my thoughts will develop as I have more experiences.

I'm drawn to medicine because I have a deep love for both science and humanity. I chose music in undergrad because for me it is the most pure expression of the human condition. (Science and music have always been awe-inspiring for me) However I also have an intense interest in science, biology, and the body and how it works. The relationship between doctor and patient is important and appealing to me, as is the fact that doctors must be lifelong scholars and critical thinkers. I want my life to contribute to the greater good of helping other human beings, using science to preserve and heal the beauty of the human spirit.

I feel that committing myself to such a rigorous profession that requires constant adaptation and learning in order to serve patients at the highest level is a way to be the best person I can be.

I realize that at this point with limited exposure to the practice of medicine it's largely based in concept. I hope that I'll have experiences before matriculating, or even during a post bacc experience that will reaffirm and clarify my feelings. This is just as much a reason for my taking a year off.

For now, though, I'm just hoping I have a good shot at entering a good post bacc.

Goro-

Of course sick and injured people are part of my reasons. Maybe I should've stated that explicitly but I meant it when I said helping and healing people.

Sick and injured people...they're not part of your calculus???????

Start this path by doing some volunteer work, OK?

Don't worry about finding something that integrates music and medicine. Just volunteer at a hospital.

I think @Goro brings up a good point: why doctor, specifically?

You can help and heal people through tons of paths (nursing, pastoral care, accupuncture, cognitive therapy, bartending). Work on expressing your interest so it translates well to your post-bacc program application. Also consider that you don't have to go to a fancy post-bacc program to get into med school (I didn't, and I'm at a well-respected MD school).

I think volunteering, etc. will help you craft more specific language and thought around why you want to go into medicine, not just a "helpful profession" (paraphrasing).

Reactions: 1 users
@backside_attack Thanks for your thoughts- Something I'm hoping to do over the next year is to distill more solid language that applies to being a doc to avoid the "I want to help people" cliche. True as it may be I realize it doesn't fly as well anymore with so many applicants to medical schools.

I do know I want the responsibility of making critical decisions, of being the person to best advise patients, and to be an active presence in the community. I have no idea if those are specific enough, but it can't hurt to start focusing in. I'm sure more nuanced ideas will come with more experience.

Reactions: 1 user