Pre-Req GPA Calculations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aloha042

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I was wondering if anyone knows how the PTCAs calculate pre-req GPA? Specifically for example, if I got an "A" in Genetics and a "B" in General Biology but both fulfill the "biology pre-req," how would they calculate the pre-req GPA?

I know what grading system they use, but I'm unfamiliar with how they chose the classes and such.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone knows how the PTCAs calculate pre-req GPA? Specifically for example, if I got an "A" in Genetics and a "B" in General Biology but both fulfill the "biology pre-req," how would they calculate the pre-req GPA?

I know what grading system they use, but I'm unfamiliar with how they chose the classes and such.

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There’s an excel sheet on the APTA website along with a full chart of classes they consider science/nonscience. Also depends on the programs (i.e. some include mvmt science courses as science courses)

Members don't see this ad :)
There’s an excel sheet on the APTA website along with a full chart of classes they consider science/nonscience. Also depends on the programs (i.e. some include mvmt science courses as science courses)
Could you post the link that leads to the APTA excel sheet please?

Reactions: 1 user
Could you post the link that leads to the APTA excel sheet please?

The first link is general GPA and transcript info. The second has the downloadable excel sheet and further info on PTCAS GPA vs prereq/science GPA's. Hope this helps!

The first link is general GPA and transcript info. The second has the downloadable excel sheet and further info on PTCAS GPA vs prereq/science GPA's. Hope this helps!

Thank you!!

Depends on the program. For the science GPA, all science classes are included (on PTCAS, it breaks down what is considered science). Things like psychology are not part of that, typically its the hard sciences. For the pre-req GPA, when you fill out the PTCAS application, you have to assign a class for each pre-req that the program requires and whichever class you choose for that pre-req will be counted in the GPA. The other class will be counted in the regular science GPA. Most programs will specify whether they want basic biology, or if a higher level biology course can be used instead for the biology pre-req. So it's unlikley that they choose the courses that count, you can choose which ones you want to count towards that pre-req as long as it meets their requirements. For example, I chose my second writing course instead of the one I took freshman year since one of my schools required an english class.