Program-Specific Info / Q's Pre-req opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureOT2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a school says the following...

A minimum of six 6 semester credit hours (or the equivalent) of human anatomy and physiology with a lab component.

Do you think you I need A&P I and II sequence courses? OR do you think I could take Essentials of Anatomy & physiology and A & P I?

Members don't see this ad.

take A&P 1 and 2, many schools will have this as a requirement and it's better safe then sorry. Most schools require the lab, only a few do not but probably strongly recommend it

Reactions: 1 user
You need a total of 6 credits, so if you take A&P 1 and 2 you should fulfill those requirements. So at my school it was BIO264 and BIO265 both of which had a lab. Each one was 3 credits so after taking both I had 6 credits total. Don't take easy classes to get out of learning harder material. After I took A&P I took two kinesiology classes and in this field I feel they are much more useful than an easier A&P class....some universities require a kines class too.

Take A&P I and II. Generally A&P I is all of the bones and muscles stuff (which you DEFINITELY will revisit in OT school) and A&P II is all of the other systems, and while many of them will not be a focus in OT school, the nervous system absolutely will be (you will have a neuro class in OT school, as well). Honestly, I'd work to get an A in both, especially since in graduate school, anything below a B is often considered unacceptable, and many programs have minimum GPAs that need to be upheld, and they are not always lenient. When you graduate, no one will care about your GPA, but if you have trouble making passing grades in core classes (again, this may be a B- or better, depending on the program), you will have a rough time of it once you get into an OT program.