pre-req question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sarahjth

PharmD Wannabe!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this question has been asked. . . but I couldn't really find the right answer I was looking for.

Next year, I will be completely done with the pre-reqs to get into the school I want to go to, SIUE. I want to get my degree but if I get accepted into SIUE without it, that will even be better. So my question is: though my pre-reqs are still in process, they will be completed the next school year, should I apply this summer - because I'd like to apply early.. then finish the reqs and take the PCAT... or should I apply next summer? and get the degree?

Also, do schools look down upon if you take the PCAT twice? I am a very nervous person... (you should of seen me take the SAT) and am curious..

Members don't see this ad.

sarahjth said:
I know this question has been asked. . . but I couldn't really find the right answer I was looking for.

Next year, I will be completely done with the pre-reqs to get into the school I want to go to, SIUE. I want to get my degree but if I get accepted into SIUE without it, that will even be better. So my question is: though my pre-reqs are still in process, they will be completed the next school year, should I apply this summer - because I'd like to apply early.. then finish the reqs and take the PCAT... or should I apply next summer? and get the degree?

Also, do schools look down upon if you take the PCAT twice? I am a very nervous person... (you should of seen me take the SAT) and am curious..

Most people who get accepted are technically accepted without their degree, because during the acceptance period people are still in school waiting to graduate in June (many finishing up a prereq or two). So if you start applying early this summer (very good idea- just get the stuff out of the way- especially good if school has rolling admissions) then you will be like most everyone else who doesn't have a degree yet. The schools you apply to can tell if you're going to have a degree by the time you enter their pharm school.

As for the PCAT- I don't know because I didnt take it and am not sure where that comes in during the application process. I hope I helped you with the first part though.

TrojanAnteater said:
Most people who get accepted are technically accepted without their degree, because during the acceptance period people are still in school waiting to graduate in June (many finishing up a prereq or two). So if you start applying early this summer (very good idea- just get the stuff out of the way- especially good if school has rolling admissions) then you will be like most everyone else who doesn't have a degree yet. The schools you apply to can tell if you're going to have a degree by the time you enter their pharm school.

So does it look better if you have your degree before you apply rather than being in the process of getting your degree after admissions?

Members don't see this ad :)
J00kie33 said:
So does it look better if you have your degree before you apply rather than being in the process of getting your degree after admissions?

Thanks Trojan.... :)

I think the sooner you can apply (to rolling admissions schools), the better -- regardless of a degree. Sure a degree will give you an edge, but why not take the chance as you are completing a bachelor's?

However, SIUE's application will not be available until October. They do not use PharmCAS.

FutureRxGal said:
I think the sooner you can apply (to rolling admissions schools), the better -- regardless of a degree. Sure a degree will give you an edge, but why not take the chance as you are completing a bachelor's?

However, SIUE's application will not be available until October. They do not use PharmCAS.

I know, what a bummer! Ok, so let's say if I applied in October (Thank you FutureRxGal fo the date..I am surprised I don't have that memorized! Oh and beautiful icon!) will my Fall semester grades be updated... or will they just see the transcript I send them when I apply in October?

sarahjth said:

I took the PCAT four times and I was accepted. Its all about persistence and determination. If u have those qualities, the adcoms will see that as a plus.

sarahjth said:
I know, what a bummer! Ok, so let's say if I applied in October (Thank you FutureRxGal fo the date..I am surprised I don't have that memorized! Oh and beautiful icon!) will my Fall semester grades be updated... or will they just see the transcript I send them when I apply in October?

They will allow you to update your fall grades. If I were you, I'd apply in October, and then send updated transcripts when you get your fall grades.

FutureRxGal said:

thanks futurerxgal

As far as the timeliness to apply on pharmcas or pharm schools in general, can anyone suggest when your chances of acceptance would decline most? I dont even kno, when do most people apply, towards the last couple months?

J00kie33 said:
thanks futurerxgal

As far as the timeliness to apply on pharmcas or pharm schools in general, can anyone suggest when your chances of acceptance would decline most? I dont even kno, when do most people apply, towards the last couple months?

It's best to apply as soon as you can. The number of applications increases further into the application cycle. You have less competition in rolling admissions schools the earlier you apply.

holy crap you reply fast
I barely had enough time to refresh the page
but thx

J00kie33 said:
holy crap you reply fast
I barely had enough time to refresh the page
but thx

Heh. I just happen to be in the middle of checking my e-mail (I have tons), and I keep getting a new one every time there's a reply to this post. :p