pre-req question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desertshines

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay I looked for an answer and haven't found one suitable so here is my story:

I have a BSN (nursing degree) and work 16 -20 hours a week as an RN and am taking Gen Chem II with the lab only right now at ASU. (I'm a non-degree seeking graduate). To just have the minimum courses for most dental schools I still need physics (8 hrs), Biochem (4 or 8 hours with lab) organic chem I and II with labs. Concerning my BSN courses I have mostly As and Bs except for a C in Gen Chem I. If I continue at this one at a time rate then it will probably take 3 + years before I can start applying, take the Dat, etc. I'm fairly sure I would get better grades by not cramming these tough science classes together but I'm not sure how that will look to some of these schools that I didn't take a full load for the pre-reqs (English and others were completed for my BSN) Does anyone have a suggestion about what can be taken concurrently?? Physics and O-chem? Thanks for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

A few Q's that I think will make a difference in determining your best options:
What is your GPA for your nursing degree?
What is you science GPA (Bio, chem, physics, and even math)?

I think that since you work part-time and you are non-traditional, you kind of have an excuse. But it is very important to show that you can handle full loads. I am a traditional student (had part-time jobs first 3 yrs of college) and as I look back on my course loads, I am a little disappointed in a couple of low credit semesters.

To ease your worries, the classes aren't really that hard. You should probably take two as a bare minimum per semester.

I would suggest:

1st semester: Physics I (algebra based) and Organic I
2nd semester: Physics II and Organic II
3rd semester: Biochem and Organic I lab
4th semester: Organic II lab and study for DAT?

look for upperlevel "filler" classes. I took Immunology and it was really easy. Maybe put off labs that are not required as co-requesites. For example, take organic labs (I and II) in the summer or something. They aren't hard, they are just time consuming. So it might be a good idea to take them together in a short period of time.

Best of luck!

Thank you so much for responding and giving me a tentative schedule. I'm going to try to ease up on work hours in the future-my current job is increasing the call requirement. Thanks and good luck to you, too!