Quantcast

Pre-Req v. Non Pre-Req

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MinaJoon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Let's say, hypothetically, that all the prerequisites for the pharmacy school(s) I want to apply to, I got all A's. However I received C's or B's on classes that were not prerequisites. Do pharmacy school admissions look specifically at every grade for every course I took do they just look at overall GPA?

Passion4Sci

LML
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes.

That's basically the answer. When you do PharmCAS, ALL of your grades will be smashed together and you'll have a cumulative PharmCAS GPA. However, there are several other GPAs that are calculated. Certainly a pharmacy school will look at the fact that you have a 4.0 in pre-pharmacy but only, say, a 3.25 cumulative. They would expect their students to perform the best in pre-pharmacy classes and I'm sure would appreciate that.

Some schools, like UCSF, even track the data on their website (Cumulative vs. Pre-Pharmacy).

Now, if you have a 4 point in pre-pharmacy and a 2.6 cumulative, I guess they might have qualms with it. But... in your case I don't think it's going to be an issue.

MinaJoon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I understand now that they look at both but which is more significant? Prerequisite grades or Non prerequisite grades?

themulya

more specific than amulya
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I understand now that they look at both but which is more significant? Prerequisite grades or Non prerequisite grades?

Isn't it obvious? Prerequisite courses are classes that pharmacy schools determine are important for you to take before you enter their program. It is knowledge that they expect you to know before you can take their coursework. Your prereq courses are also indicative of how you might perform in pharmacy school because the material is all related.

Why would a pharmacy school care more about what you got in English or Art History than say ochem?

Will they look at all your grades? Yes, but isn't it just common sense that they would care more about the classes that they require instead of courses they don't?

calisoca

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Isn't it obvious? Prerequisite courses are classes that pharmacy schools determine are important for you to take before you enter their program. It is knowledge that they expect you to know before you can take their coursework. Your prereq courses are also indicative of how you might perform in pharmacy school because the material is all related.

Why would a pharmacy school care more about what you got in English or Art History than say ochem?

Will they look at all your grades? Yes, but isn't it just common sense that they would care more about the classes that they require instead of courses they don't?

Sounds like you've had it with reading the pre-pharm forum, too.

themulya

more specific than amulya
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you've had it with reading the pre-pharm forum, too.

To an extent. I still don't mind answering some questions. Usually it's new people who ask repeat questions, so I'll refer them to the search or FAQ, but sometimes people just need to use some common sense.