General Admissions & OTCAS Pre reqs at community college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bunny_ot

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was only able to apply to one school this year because I didn't have many pre reqs completed and unfortunately I was waitlisted. I want to take more classes this summer so I'm able to apply to more schools for next fall. I would like to take them at a community college close by so I can save money. The college I graduated from would make me pay the graduate rate for classes since I already have a bachelors degree ☹️. Does anyone know if taking them at a community college has any negative impact on being accepted?? Any advice would be helpful!

Also the classes I have competed so far:
Anatomy
Physiology
General and developmental psych
Stats

I'm planning on taking bio, abnormal psych and medical terminology, are there any other classes anyone would recommend taking?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

OT schools really do not care where you take your pre-reqs from as long as it is from an ACCREDITED school and matches with their pre-req. I would highly recommend emailing the schools you plan on applying to and asking if the class is acceptable as a pre-req because there are some schools that are picky! Other than that, you are NOT at a disadvantage if you take it at a community college versus a university. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
Those seem like the most common ones! I've seen some schools require physics or kinesiology, chemistry, sociology or anthropology, and english classes before too.

If you have a short list of your "top" programs you KNOW you're going to apply to, I would make sure you have those prereqs taken care of first though if you can only take a few.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took all of the classes you listed at a community college. I have finished AP 1 and 2. Taking Sociology this summer and currently taking Stats online through a different school. I emailed all the schools asking if they accepted Stats online and told them which school and they all said that is fine. It will not be an issue taking it at a community college!

Most schools don't care. I also took some online (physics through UNE, kinesiology through Texas A&M Commerce and medical terminology through BYU independent). All of my schools accepted them.

Awesome! Thanks everyone :)

No one cares where you take your Pre-reqs. Your grades at the CC should be stellar, don't waste time if you think a C is a possibility. Not trying to scare anyone, aim for greatness :).

Reactions: 1 users
I wish I took more classes at CC. Would have saved a bunch of cash.

I received my Bachelor's Degree from a 4 year school, but I did take many of my prerequisites at a community college. As others have said, as long as you make sure those classes match up with what is required by the schools you are applying to, then it should not have a negative impact whatsoever. I took Abnormal Psychology, Anatomy & Physiology 1 and 2, Medical Terminology, Statistics and Introduction to Psychology at my community college and I received acceptances to most of the schools that I applied to. Good luck!