Pre-reqs at Community college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tim Haas

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I was wondering if anyone would know if taking chem, ochem and bio at a CC would be looked down upon instead of taking them all at my private college. Fact of the matter is, I can't fit any of those into my schedule, and was planning on applying to Foreign med schools only.

Any input? Also, what is salary like compared to those of US doctors? Say if I were to work somewhere in the Caribbean? Thanks a bunch.

-haas

Members don't see this ad.

Tim Haas said:
Hey all. I was wondering if anyone would know if taking chem, ochem and bio at a CC would be looked down upon instead of taking them all at my private college. Fact of the matter is, I can't fit any of those into my schedule, and was planning on applying to Foreign med schools only.

Any input? Also, what is salary like compared to those of US doctors? Say if I were to work somewhere in the Caribbean? Thanks a bunch.

-haas

i went to a ross open house and they would like to see more science classes done at a university as opposed to a cc simply because all you need is 90 credits to go to a carribean school which is basically your g.e. and pre req's

I dunno about your last part..do you mean if you practiced in the u.s.? if so its the same as if you graduated from a u.s. school. i have no clue if you were to practice in the caribbean but expect it to be extremely less than in the u.s.

I can't say for sure but I'm in the same boat. I live in an area where there are three huge universities(one of them won the NCAA championship this year). Anyway, I'm having to take classes at the CC for my pre-req's. I'm doing this for a few different reasons. First, the CC class schedule fits best with my work schedule. The university closest to me only offers four sections of Bio all of which conflict w/ work. Science courses around here are the bread and butter and most profs. teach only during the day. CC offers like 8-10 different options for class and lab. I graduated with about 80 people from a private college so I'm fairly used to small class sizes. So that's my second reason. It fits my academic personality. Third reason is it's cheaper than going to a universtiy. My feelings are that you take responsibility for your education, no matter where you go, you'll get a quality education. Now I say that with a bit of a caveat. The CC around here is well known and has several programs that feed local hospitals w/ nurses, med. assitants, EMT's, and Paramedics. So I know the education has to be pretty good. Like anything, do your research on the school and know what you're getting into. I do believe the addage is true that you get what you pay for. That may seem a bit contradictory. However, there is a variable in the equation which is you. You can totally immerse yourself in your classes and sponge everything you can. My attitude is one of determination, "I will not fail no matter where I go". Good luck to you!

although i agree with your statements about if you apply yourself, it does not matter where you learn, i cant help but to think that if there were even scores all around, the person that was educated at the higher university would get in. I have taken some classes at a CC as well, and i think that may effect my resume a little bit. For this reason, I am transfering to BU to finish up my pre-req's. I will have bio I, A+P I and II from the cc and the rest will be from BU. like you, i am paying for my own education and have to work to support that, which definitely makes things a bit tougher.