Pre-Reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhenieMack

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there,

I have a couple questions for those who have already gotten into Opt. School. I'm looking at NECO, PCO, and SUNY (hey, I'm an East Coast gal). Hopefully some of you have had similar experiences and can shed some light on what I should do.

First, does anyone know if NECO (or anyone else, for that matter) allows you to apply before taking all your pre-reqs? I have already graduated and only have a few classes to take, so I need to fit them into my work schedule and can't go full-time. I'm looking at Orgo 1 and 2 (I got a BC and CD when I took them, respectively), Micro, Biochem, and possibly some math (see below). It'll take me until at least December to finish them, and I would REALLY like to apply in Oct/Nov. Also, are there any classes that anyone feels I should NOT take at a CC? I'd like to take at least a few at a CC and save literally thousands of dollars.

About the math... here is my quandary. I placed out of the first math requirement at my university and went straight to calculus. I got a BC (oh, freshman year, if only I could get you back!). That was seven years ago. Neco told me that I needed two semesters of math, one of which had to be calculus. Would it be lame if I took algebra or trig or some class that precedes calc? Did anyone else have this problem? All the other schools seem to require only one semester of math, so I don't know if I should even take Calculus 1 over again.

As an aside, I graduated with a 3.28 GPA (3.18 science GPA). I haven't taken the OAT, but I am very good at standardized tests.

Sorry for the long post; I am just getting frazzled reading these posts of what's good and bad and right and wrong and up and down! Whew...it's good to get things off my chest! Thanks for any help anyone can give! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there,

Yes, you can apply before having your prereqs finished. There only stipulation is that they generally need to be finished before you begin the school year the next fall, which in your case doesn't appear to be a problem. If you only have a few remaining courses, I don't imagine taking them at a CC would present a problem (there are varying opinions on this... if you plan on taking more... I would be a bit more cautious, but a few shouldn't hurt).

As far as your math requirment goes, I would contact the admissions office at each school you're interested in and see what they recommend. There could be a possiblity that they accept the placement test in lieu of a second math class, but that may be something that I'm making up in my head...:cool:

Other bits of advice... get your app in as early as possible. You say you're good at standardized tests, but I would still start reviewing the covered topics and planning your test date. You want to aim to take it once and be done with it. See if you can get your hands on the apps for each school, and get a jump on your personal statement or essays, whichever each school needs. If you spend a little time this summer preparing, your application process will flow much more smoothly.

Best of luck,

PGE

Hello there,

I have a couple questions for those who have already gotten into Opt. School. I'm looking at NECO, PCO, and SUNY (hey, I'm an East Coast gal). Hopefully some of you have had similar experiences and can shed some light on what I should do.

First, does anyone know if NECO (or anyone else, for that matter) allows you to apply before taking all your pre-reqs? I have already graduated and only have a few classes to take, so I need to fit them into my work schedule and can't go full-time. I'm looking at Orgo 1 and 2 (I got a BC and CD when I took them, respectively), Micro, Biochem, and possibly some math (see below). It'll take me until at least December to finish them, and I would REALLY like to apply in Oct/Nov. Also, are there any classes that anyone feels I should NOT take at a CC? I'd like to take at least a few at a CC and save literally thousands of dollars.

About the math... here is my quandary. I placed out of the first math requirement at my university and went straight to calculus. I got a BC (oh, freshman year, if only I could get you back!). That was seven years ago. Neco told me that I needed two semesters of math, one of which had to be calculus. Would it be lame if I took algebra or trig or some class that precedes calc? Did anyone else have this problem? All the other schools seem to require only one semester of math, so I don't know if I should even take Calculus 1 over again.

As an aside, I graduated with a 3.28 GPA (3.18 science GPA). I haven't taken the OAT, but I am very good at standardized tests.

Sorry for the long post; I am just getting frazzled reading these posts of what's good and bad and right and wrong and up and down! Whew...it's good to get things off my chest! Thanks for any help anyone can give! :)

Getting BC...you don't happen to go to UW, do you? I never liked their grading system...the AB, BC, etc...

I was in a position like you...tested out of any introductory college math/algebra and went straight to calculus. I only took one semester and never took another math class in college (aside from a stats course) and was never questioned about the math requirement. I only applied to PCO (they req. one semester of calc...not sure about the other math) and it was never an issue.

I think prettygreeneyes is right, it would be best to call the schools you are interested in and hear it from the horse's mouth.

HAHA I went to UW too and thought the same thing when Im saw the B/C. Crazy grading system. I'm not sure how the admissions people calculate those in to your GPA???