Pre-Requisite for General Biology

Started by AtomicMan
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AtomicMan

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey there! It is my last year as an undergrad and I am planning to apply to this PTCAS cycle 2014-2015.

I just am not sure if the Biology I took will count towards the Biology I pre-req or not.
I know that on PTCAS and specific schools they label: General, Microbiology, Cell on the sides to state what are accepted. However, I recently emailed a few schools and asked if they accepted Elements of Biology and some do.

Here is the description of the class I took:
BIOL 101 Elements of Biology
Description: Underlying principles governing life forms, processes and interactions. Elements of biology and reasoning skills for understanding scientific issues on personal, societal and global levels. (3 semester units worth, 3 hours lecture)

BIOL 101L Elements of Biology Laboratory
Description: Laboratory experiments demonstrating the principles presented in the lecture course. Scientific inquiry, cell structure and function, physiology, genetics, biodiversity, evolution and ecology. (worth 1 semester unit, 3 hours lab)

Some schools accept it and some do not.
Should I just take another lower division Biology Class just in case? e.g. Cell Biology

Any comments will be helpful thanks!
 
Well, take the class that will fill the pre-req for the schools that don't accept the class you took. I would probably take upper division because I find it much more interesting, but it's up to you. Take lower or upper, whichever you will get a higher grade in.
 
I actually did exactly what you are thinking. I took Bio101 and Bio101L, which is the general education bio class at my school and therefore meets the general biology requirement. Next I took Cellular Biology which I believe was Bio172, which was a class for bio majors, and also not upper division. But I believe most/a lot of schools require two biology classes with labs so I would take a second bio class.

It worked for me. I just recently got accepted and I also got wait-listed at a different school. The only thing is some schools require the classes to be upper division or for biology majors. So I would definitely look at the prereqs of schools that you are interested in applying to.

Also random but do you go to CSUF? That is the same name and class number that I took.