Pre-requisites taken from community college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaiteunyoon

Reaction score
Hi all!!

I graduated from a 4 year university after transferring from a community college. I took English composition I and II, general chemistry I and II, Orgo I, and physics I and II from CC. I majored in biochemistry afterwards, so I took orgo II, higher level organic chem, p chem, other bio chem courses from the 4 year University.

Do the admission committees count good grades on other (P Chem) or upper level (advanced organic chem) and take things flexible on the course requirement? Or are they very strict about the prerequisites?

I just started considering of going to Dental school years after master’s degree and working as a researcher. Now I feel it’s waste of money to take courses that I already know enough. If it’s necessary I am willing to take again though. Does admission department answers well about each cases if I reach out?

Additional question, if I take courses again, does the school title matter? I live in Boston area where many schools are located at. I am thinking of taking classes from cheapest school with part time option available, but just not sure if school/program name matters.

Thanks for reading! Anyone with experience?

Members don't see this ad.

If stats good enough, why not just apply to schools that don't need credit from CC?

Honestly, it all just depends on the school. I took Bio 1, Bio 2, Gen Chem 1, Gen Chem 2, and Anatomy all from community college along with 50+ credits in other classes from a community college and i've gotten multiple interviews. I just made sure to research the schools I applied to make sure they weren't going to throw my application away just because of the CC credits

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I just got accepted and took a pretty big majority of my prereqs from a community college. As a nontraditional adult learner, I think schools factor that in. I work a full-time job, so night classes are what I relied on which is why I went there (also it was vastly cheaper).

So don't sweat it. I'd say the only thing that would be a potential bad look is if you had a 4.0 GPA in your CC classes but only had an 18 on the DAT. So my recommendation is take classes from whichever school works best for you and then CRUSH your DAT and you'll be golden.