pre-residency reading

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrpeters714

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any plans to study anything before residency starts?

I had planned on reading Robbins, but...well, i guess maybe that's a little ambitious. Considering that I've been at it for a month or two now and I've only got about 1/5 of the way through. And I'm rapidly losing interest.

I'm now thinking of just reading a basic histology text (alot shorter than robbins) and flipping through a histology atlas.

Or I could screw around on the web posting articles about what I SHOULD be reading.

-mrp

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, this subject sounds interesting, indeed.

I had simillar thoughts. I was highly ambitious early on. Now Ive decided to enjoy the rest of my 4th year and summer before residency starts. I'm going on a cruise, doing my preceptorship in Hawaii. I figure I worked so hard in college and medical school (I went straight through) Its time to relax a little and then work hard again when we have to :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah rest, relax and be merry. Plenty of time for studying the next 4 years. But, if you must Robbins is good...GI, Breast, Gyn, GU, Heme concentration would be good. Basic histo of those would be great also.

I would definitely agree with the last post. Take it easy and save your energy for residency. If you do feel the need to read something before starting, in addition to what was already suggested, it might also be helpful to read through one of the commercial surg path manuals. There are two books that come to mind that go through the basics of grossing in specimens. One is the Lester Manual of surgical pathology, and I forget the name of the other. These books helped me out a lot when i first started.

I'm going to TA histo for my review. Might as well get some credit and as a bonus, I get to corrupt a few young minds.

:p