Pre-secondary screening process at the University of California Med Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tyrsa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How rigorous are the pre-secondary screening processes at the UC medical schools? (UCSF, UCLA, UC Davis, UC Irvine, UC Riverside, UCSD.)
Does anyone know what percentage of applicants get secondaries? (Specifically I want separate percentages for out-of-state and in-state applicants.)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The only school for which I could find specific percentages is UC Irvine: According to their website, for last year's cycle (2014-2015) they granted secondaries to 4095 out of 5890 total received applications, for a percentage of 69.88%. I don't know the OOS/IS splits, though.

According to the school-specific threads, UCLA sends out secondaries to < 50% of applicants (something along the lines of ~3,000 secondaries granted to ~7,000 applicants). I don't know the exact numbers though, unless someone can confirm.

I don't have any numbers on UC Davis, UCSD, UCSF or UC Riverside. I know all of them screen (Davis and SD seem to conduct thorough screens) but I don't know the numbers, unfortunately.

Thanks! Unfortunately the pre-secondary screening stats are not the MSAR, to the best of my knowledge.

Members don't see this ad :)
UC Riverside is around 2000 secondaries out of 5200 applicants. I also got secondaries from every single UC school, but only got 2 II from them.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on your IIs. From my experience and from talking to others you're definitely an anomaly. UCSF also gave a lot more people secondaries last year than they normally do, so OP, take receiving secondaries from these places with a grain of salt.

Thanks!:) Solo Deo Gloria (Glory to God Alone) for my II.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think UCD screen is purely stats..my stats should make it and I am secondary-less! (And I thought the 3 UCs I had the best shot with in terms of stats and fit were UCD, UCR and UCI).

I'm starting to think the CA MDs are definitely more unpredictable than I originally thought.

They're insanely unpredictable.
If UCD is not stats, from my experience, they don't seem to be very selective (no offense), since most ppl receive the secondary right away, and I've heard people say they have a numerical cut off for IS people multiple times. Are you OOS?

nope, IS and community service oriented. They received my app but no secondary yet =/. I am above their avg both GPA and MCAT too..

How rigorous are the pre-secondary screening processes at the UC medical schools? (UCSF, UCLA, UC Davis, UC Irvine, UC Riverside, UCSD.)
Does anyone know what percentage of applicants get secondaries? (Specifically I want separate percentages for out-of-state and in-state applicants.)

Thanks!
I cannot recommend an OOS application to either UCD or UCR without regard to screening.

For UCSF, I was told at my interview last year that ~2,500 secondaries were given out of the ~7,308 individuals who applied, or 34.2%. This was ~1,000 more secondaries than the year before, I believe, though the largest cut was still at the secondary -> interview stage.

I never got a number of secondaries given out for UCSD - I have down in my notes that ~6,700 people applied, and it's eventually whittled down to ~727 interviews, but how many secondaries in-between I don't know.

Reactions: 1 users