Mindyaown

Dec 29, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hello all,

Do you guys think its beneficial to pre study pathology / pharmacology for second year? I'm asking because as a first year I constantly heard how the second years were dying with their fall semester. Ive also been warned by so many second years how tough second year is at my school. What do you guys think?

Deecee2DO

Medical Student
5+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2015
New Jersey
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hello all,

Do you guys think its beneficial to pre study pathology / pharmacology for second year? I'm asking because as a first year I constantly heard how the second years were dying with their fall semester. Ive also been warned by so many second years how tough second year is at my school. What do you guys think?
They love talking about how much it sucks because they just went through it. Dont get me wrong second year blows but its doable and also its WAY more interesting. Youre actually learning the foundations of clinical medicine vs only memorizing tiny PhD bullcrap minutiae. No need to prestudy during summer its seriously a big waste of time. I chilled hard summer before 2nd year and I did really well in class during M2 and also super prepared for Step 1 and COMLEX. Best advice I can give is if you want a high Step score like a 250+ start covering board stuff day 1 of second year. youll thank yourself later in the spring when all your friends are ****ting their pants because they listened to everyone else and left First Aid sketchy and Pathoma blank until the spring. But please dont study during the summer you need all the stamina you can get for second year its a constant grind for months

Reactions: 1 users

Alkaidius

PGY-1
7+ Year Member
May 14, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hello all,

Something I wish I had personally done in hindsight was assemble all the mnemonics I made throughout first year (if that’s your thing) so I didn’t have to track them down later and maybe stick it in the appropriate page of first aid if you already have a copy. I remember some professors’ lectures having some good visual aids, but I was way too busy to go sifting through those in dedicated, so if you had anything like that it wouldn’t hurt to create a “goodies” folder for the future.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

hungrydoc710

2+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2019
Southeast
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
OMS2 year is better than OMS1 year bc you essentially let go of your GPA for the sake of doing better on boards, and boards resources are much better than school powerpoints.

Watch all sketchy vids in summer, and starting crushing zanki pharm and lolnotacop decks.
Never miss a day of reviews.

Prior to dedicated do a Qbank alongside BnB/FA so when you hit dedicated you can do 2 blocks of UW per day and really absorb the explanations because you won't get lost in the details, and this will allow you to get thru it quicker, being able to pull a second round of UW, as I am starting Thurs.

Last edited:

Hippocrates II

2+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2018
I might be the odd one out but I found second year to be significantly easier than first year (less ambiguous material to study, can focus on one or two streamlined sources), and much more interesting. I wouldn't pre-study, but I wish I had kept up with reviewing old material. I'm doing uworld now and the significant majority of the questions I get wrong are basic science questions that are relatively easy if you kept up with the material.

Butters Stotch

2+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
I might be the odd one out but I found second year to be significantly easier than first year (less ambiguous material to study, can focus on one or two streamlined sources), and much more interesting. I wouldn't pre-study, but I wish I had kept up with reviewing old material. I'm doing uworld now and the significant majority of the questions I get wrong are basic science questions that are relatively easy if you kept up with the material.
Other than doing zanki are there any other good ways to keep up with reviewing old material?

SurgDoc95

Surgery Resident
2+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Get pathoma and Boards and Beyond and start going through them if you really want to pre study. Honestly if you have a break and aren’t involved in research you’re better off giving yourself a brain break because 2nd year takes no prisoners. You need to learn the path/pharm well or else you’re big screwed for dedicated

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Hippocrates II

2+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2018
Other than doing zanki are there any other good ways to keep up with reviewing old material?

I used zanki so I can't comment on other materials. What I can say is that zanki has made my dedicated period unusually relaxing right now, with practice scores I'm very happy with, so I wholeheartedly recommend the zanki approach if anki clicks for you.

Reactions: 2 users

Butters Stotch

2+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2018
Status (Visible)
I used zanki so I can't comment on other materials. What I can say is that zanki has made my dedicated period unusually relaxing right now, with practice scores I'm very happy with, so I wholeheartedly recommend the zanki approach if anki clicks for you.
So Zanki, UFAPS, and q banks during your curriculum is the best approach prior to dedicated? (Anything else I’m missing?)

Edit: FAPS & BnB (I would imagine U-world is best for dedicated

indiRanger

2+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2017
Status (Visible)

Did you start Zanki at the start of 2nd year or from 1st year?

hungrydoc710

2+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2019
Southeast
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
While Zanki is good, I think it's a bit granular, PERSONALLY.

I did Dukes to mem Dr. Satter's brilliantness that is Pathoma
I did micro and pharm parts of zanki, and the bchem and msk subdecks as well
I did dorians anatomy for all the high yield anatomy

Zanki is really good, but if you pick and choose what you need cards for, it allows you more time to do questions (Rx to mem FA, UW 2x thru), watch videos (BnB follows FA perfectly), etc. Otherwise you may be stuck mem cards all day, unless you started from the start of med school.

I have friends who are trying to bust thru zanki 33K+ cards during dedicated - that's not how anki works.

Cheers.

EDIT - I say "I did", but what I meant is "I do" - I'm still grinding - exam is in a month !

Last edited:

Hippocrates II

2+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2018
Did you start Zanki at the start of 2nd year or from 1st year?

I started in 1st year, but I didn't really keep up with it (major regret).

So Zanki, UFAPS, and q banks during your curriculum is the best approach prior to dedicated? (Anything else I’m missing?)

Edit: FAPS & BnB (I would imagine U-world is best for dedicated

I don't know if that's the best way, but it's what I did. One of my friends handwrites all of his notes out, never touched zanki, and is doing extremely well on uworld, so you just have to play to your strengths. I'm old, so I rely on zanki to help me memorize/retain. Other people don't need it / don't like it. If you can do well with anki, keep up with it and your board prep will be so much less stressful. I essentially ignore ~~60% of uworld questions because they teach me nothing new. I imagine many people who don't keep up with something like zanki spend a desperate 6 weeks trying to memorize and cram every uworld question that they can.

Reactions: 2 users
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.