Pre- Veterinary Post-bacc programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Emm13187

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
Does anyone know of any post baccalaureate programs for veterinary school?
My graduation date is in May 2016, and my current GPA is 2.9. I really want to go to veterinary school but I know that my GPA is very low and I still need to take biochemistry. I have no idea what my plan is other than I want to go to a post-bacc program to enhance my gpa.
Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I just entered as a non degree seeking student at ASU. I didn't do an official post bacc. I completed all pre reqs that I was missing.

Reactions: 1 users
I just entered as a non degree seeking student at ASU. I didn't do an official post bacc. I completed all pre reqs that I was missing.
Have you already applied to vet school? And did you go to ASU to get another bachelors in biology but didn't complete the degree?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was a non degree seeking graduate student. So I could take any classes I wanted, no requirements for a major or anything. I just still had to submit the prerequisites for advanced science courses from my other undergrad institution. I took undergrad courses and didn't have an advisor. Yes, I applied this cycle. Still deciding where to go though.

I'm on the same boat and looking to improve my gpa. I just graduated this month and I'm planning on retaking any pre reqs that I got less than a B- at a community college in the spring and summer. I will also be taking upper level science classes at a university. I've researched post bacc programs that I will be applying to and start in the fall of next year. I've found Drexel's veterinary medical science prep which is a one year graduate certificate. They also have an option to continue onto a masters of lab animal science for an additional year if that's something you would be interested in. There's also colorado state masters of biomedical science which can be completed in one year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm on the same boat and looking to improve my gpa. I just graduated this month and I'm planning on retaking any pre reqs that I got less than a B- at a community college in the spring and summer. I will also be taking upper level science classes at a university. I've researched post bacc programs that I will be applying to and start in the fall of next year. I've found Drexel's veterinary medical science prep which is a one year graduate certificate. They also have an option to continue onto a masters of lab animal science for an additional year if that's something you would be interested in. There's also colorado state masters of biomedical science which can be completed in one year.

So the only options available are to apply to graduate schools to get a Masters?

Not necessarily.. You could always enroll as a non degree seeking student and continue to take additional upper level science classes. But if you wanted a more structured curriculum or if you're interested in a subject then pursuing a masters would be more beneficial

University of Connecticut would be a potential option! I am doing my undergrad here now and they don't have a pre-vet major but they have animal science and you can track! I'm not sure how it works if you are not applying for a masters though

I did the pre-medical post-bacc through Harvard's night program and loved it. It's surprisingly super affordable, too---most 4 credit courses with lab are around $1250. It's geared toward career-changers, but there are still a good number of upper-division electives available as night courses. And if you're looking to retake the basic sciences, it's an excellent program. I took my Gen Chem, Organic Chem, Bio, and Physics sequences there, along with Microbio, Biochem, Genetics, and Epi, and am happy to answer questions about any of them. If you're interested, you'd want to look into school specific requirements, though: their microbio course doesn't include a lab, which a few vet schools require, and their Biochem course recommends but doesn't requite Orgo as a prereq, so some schools (CSU) won't take it.

I know a few people who went through Bryn Mawr's post-bacc and recommend it as well.

I don't know where you live, but if you have a 4-yr university in your area, like others have said, you can just take courses as a non-degree student. That might be easier than a formal post-bacc if you're just taking a handful of courses, not starting from scratch.

Edited to add: one of the benefits of the formal post-bacc was that it made you eligible for institutional low-interest aid and scholarships. If you do well in the program, you can get a chunk of your tuition paid for this way. Something to look into if you have one in your area.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The other benefit to a MS is you can take courses toward a back up career path. It's looking like mine is going to be necessary. While I won't be doing what I spent most of my life aiming toward, I'll get to do something I still really enjoy and make pretty darn decent money.