Pre-vets and relationships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wereweasel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many people have had to or may be facing having to end a relationship to pursue vet school?

My boyfriend and I live in Oregon and he is considering taking a job in Pittsburgh that pays much better than anything he's been able to get here in Oregon. He'd like me to go with him but I can't see any way that I could go and still work out going to vet school. As of now I'm pretty near Oregon State to which I have pretty good odds at getting in considering the ratio of in state applicants to number of spots. I hear Ohio State is pretty good, but out of state tuition is something ridiculous like $55k. It takes about a year to get residency in Ohio, and my boyfriend thinks I could probably stay with his parents who live in Ohio until I get residency, but then I would be relying pretty heavily on being accepted into Ohio State. From what I have researched it seems my odds of getting in there are much more slim.

I definitely don't want to hurt my chances of getting into vet school because that is my dream, and really I can't give that up for a guy. But it's going to be really hard to watch him go. Can anyone else relate to my situation? How did you deal with it?

Members don't see this ad.

I hope it works out for the best for you two, I hear a lot about that kind of problem among those who are accepted to vet schools away from home.

Follow your dreams and do what you think is best.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I ended a marriage to go to vet school. :thumbdown: I feel your pain, but sometimes you just have to decide what is better for you, and which is more important. Only you can decide that for yourself, but it does not make the decision any easier. It also sounds like your boyfriend may have made up his mind as to priorites. :( I am sorry though that you are having to make that decision.

Wow, a marriage? That's too bad :-(.

I dunno I guess I'm just going to have to find a way to make peace with staying here and just trying to stay friends or something. I don't think it's worth the stress of trying to have a long distance relationship for that long. Maybe I'll apply to Ohio State when the time comes and if I get accepted then I can consider joining him over there.

I try to maintain my belief that everything happens for a reason. It's just time to part ways and maybe this will be a good thing for me because it will minimize my distractions during school.

Thanks for your support, guys.

You could think about Penn and even Cornell too. Penn is about a 5 hour drive from Pittsburgh. I've never been to Cornell but I think it is similar. Both are a little further than Ohio State but a lot closer than Oregon State. I would say apply to Oregon, Ohio, and anywhere else you would be willing to go, and then see what happens. It's hard to make a decision with so many unknowns; once you know where you stand with different schools you will at least have your options in front of you. Best of luck working it out.

Thank you. I guess it makes sense to apply to several different schools anyways just to increase my chances of getting in the first time. I think what's concerning me most about it is the ridiculously high out of state tuition costs. Is it possible to only pay the out of state tuition for the first year and become a resident after that? I don't really want to have $200k in loans to pay off!

I don't really want to have $200k in loans to pay off!

Who does?:laugh:, it's certainly a heck of a burden. You could establish residency in say Pennsylvania before you apply and then go to the school that you want to with you boyfriend, and pay the IS tuition...in other words have your cake and eat it too. But you'd have to be REALLY confident about being accepted into the program. I'm sure that it's been done before though.

Last edited:
Well that's what I'm considering doing I guess. Which would you guys say is easier to get into between Pennsylvania and Ohio? I'm considering just moving out there to get residency until I apply. But then I would still be paying out of state tuition while I finish prereqs....

In Ohio you can get residency after a year of school (even vet school). In PA you have to be here for a year for non academic purposes to get residency. The thing is that Penn is further from Pittsburgh than Ohio State is - PA is a big state and they are on opposite sides.

Thank you. I guess it makes sense to apply to several different schools anyways just to increase my chances of getting in the first time. I think what's concerning me most about it is the ridiculously high out of state tuition costs. Is it possible to only pay the out of state tuition for the first year and become a resident after that? I don't really want to have $200k in loans to pay off!

Ohio State makes it pretty easy to get residency after a year coming from out-of state. I know the first year tuition is insane, but everyone I know who applied for residency after their first year got it.

I will also add that this is something that you should definitely talk in-depth about with your boyfriend. Pros and cons about either situation, and if you're trying to do a long-distance relationship, how you both will make efforts to continue the relationship.

I did have to make a decision to move and leave my boyfriend to pursue an experience I knew would help my chances of getting into vet school. We tried the long-distance thing, but he ended up breaking up with me because he couldn't handle it. Even though I was pretty broken up about it for awhile, I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT regret the decision I made.

Good luck with whatever you decide...and apply to Ohio State anyways because there are a lot of great people here :)