preceptor based rotations vs. traditional rotations during 3rd/4th years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J143

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the specific differences (advantages and disadvantages) between the two? I am trying to decided between TUCOM and NYCOM and am looking for advice. I think that NYCOM has a more traditional rotation program while TUCOM is using the preceptor based program. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks
Stressed about trying to make a decision!

J

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in a similar situation and am trying to decide whether AZCOM, TUCOM, or NOVA will work best for me. I thought (from what I heard at the interview) that TUCOM does have several traditional rotation options in addition to the preceptor options. AZCOM on the other hand is using the preceptor-based program exclusively. I'd like to talk to you about what you have found out about TUCOM as well as the pros/cons of their program. Feel free to email me if you like.

Good luck with your decision...you'll win either way!

You need to find out from the schools several different facts. 1. If the school is relying on preceptors, are they paid faculty of the school or private physicians. If they are private physicians you more than likely will get a poor education. These doctors are not paid to teach you and are only taking you out of their generosity. They cannot afford to sit down with you one to two hours a day to lecture.
I am a 4th year student from Des Moines. Our school is also dependent upon preceptors. This is such a cop-out by the schools. They get tuition from you and don't put anything back into your education. If you can I would try to do all your rotations in teaching hospitals. Avoid just following a private physician it is a not worth your time.
If your school is not active in you third and fourth years, you should write the board of directors. In my opinion schools who don't have clinical faculty for third and fourth years should be closed DO or MD.

Kent Ray

[This message has been edited by Kent Ray (edited 04-14-2000).]

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree w/ Kent Ray: if you have a choice, pick the school with the best clinical program, and that's normally the one w/ the best hospital affilitations and the fewest arrangements w/ 'freelance,' non-paid or under-paid preceptor physicians. Talk to the students out on rotations and see what they say, because the school administration bureaucrats may have a greater investment in putting on a good face, as opposed to telling you what's really going on.

------------------
Question Authority & Overturn Dogma

For clinical rotations, you can't go wrong with NYCOM.

I disagree with those who think rotations with private doctors are useless.
I believe it would be a very nice idea if you can combine or mix your rotations with Doctor office rotations. For sure, for you core rotations such as surgery, medicine, peds, obgyn and family practics you should do it in a hospital. But rest of your rotations, you can mix with office preceptors.

I did three months of my 4th year with a family doctor and I learned things I would not have thought in the hospital setting.
Plus, there are two ways hospitals get admissions via private attendings or via ambulance or ER. Plus, You can always expect to be spoon fed. Babies grow until they can feed on their own..

Jacob Keum from NYCOM