precordial catch syndrome?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dizzyorange

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
case history that's been bugging me for a while:

20-something male, sharp pain localized 1" above and 2" to the right of the left nipple, hard to localize the depth but not superficial and not too deep either.

Comes intermittently, 5 times a month. Started 6 months ago. Variable length 10 seconds - 5 minutes. Brought on by a movement of the left arm, usually stretching above the head. Pain goes away (mostly) when arm is relaxed to a neutral position. No pain is felt while running vigorously and lifting weights, including when the arm is stretched above the head. Pain usually comes during a state of relaxation.

The closest fit seems to be precordial catch syndrome, but it would be rare at that age. Inflammation in or around the ribs is possible, but wouldn't that hurt also while running or doing pull-ups?

Members don't see this ad.

It's a fictional assigned case problem I can't figure out, not a request for medical advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Come on man, we've all read hundreds of case history questions and kinda know what they sound like. I'm sure your school has a student clinic, you should check with them.

Or I could just see my doctor.

Don't assume things you don't know. I won't be starting med school for a few months, this was a personal brain teaser from a college professor, not for a med school class. And frankly if it were an assignment for a med school class I wouldn't ask on a public forum.

If you don't have anything to contribute please don't feel the need to post. :rolleyes:

Or I could just see my doctor.

Don't assume things you don't know. I won't be starting med school for a few months, this was a personal brain teaser from a college professor, not for a med school class. And frankly if it were an assignment for a med school class I wouldn't ask on a public forum.

If you don't have anything to contribute please don't feel the need to post. :rolleyes:

I think what Tic was saying is that the way you presented the case let's us know it wasn't a true case history from a class or rotation. That is why you were advised that SDN is not the proper place to seek medical advice, and despite you listing yourself as a medical student, it's easy to tell that you haven't started school yet.