Predental application question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Albireo108

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my situation:

I've already gone to a local junior college for two and a half years. I got out of that college with a 2.8 (yeah, I know). I'm continuing my degree as a bachelors in biology for the next two years at the university here in Midwestern US. I'm transferring in as a junior.

What do I do about acceptance? Should I quit while I'm ahead? Is my GPA wrecked?

What should I make a backup plan?

Long story short, I just job shadowed a well renowned local dentist, and he scared the living heck out of me. He told me, to even be considered, try for a 3.8 or higher, as they, 9 out of 10 times, start with 4.0s first, and move backwards.

What do I do?

Members don't see this ad.

He's just scaring you so that you can get a better GPA. The average is a 3.5 but the higher the better. Schools are beginning to look more holistically at applicants but they still expect around that 3.5 and 19-20 on the DAT. just work your butt off and get A's and A-'s and you'll be fine.

He's just scaring you so that you can get a better GPA. The average is a 3.5 but the higher the better. Schools are beginning to look more holistically at applicants but they still expect around that 3.5 and 19-20 on the DAT. just work your butt off and get A's and A-'s and you'll be fine.

What should I make as a backup? Is there anything I can do for a masters if I don't get in? It's honestly scaring me. He was basically pushing it as an all or nothing thing. With me finally getting into my four year and getting away from the stresses of family, I'm wanting to finally buckle down, but still have a backup plan.

Members don't see this ad :)
What should I make as a backup? Is there anything I can do for a masters if I don't get in? It's honestly scaring me. He was basically pushing it as an all or nothing thing. With me finally getting into my four year and getting away from the stresses of family, I'm wanting to finally buckle down, but still have a backup plan.

Yeah, look into special masters programs (SMPs), they're offered by various universities, its usually done by applicants with lower GPAs to show they can handle the rigor of professional school classes and usually has a positive impact on their application.

Yeah, look into special masters programs (SMPs), they're offered by various universities, its usually done by applicants with lower GPAs to show they can handle the rigor of professional school classes and usually has a positive impact on their application.

Agreed

Your dentist is just trying to shock you. I do not know all the good avenues for boosting gpa, but score well on your future DAT. Some schools place greater emphasis on gpa and others on the DAT (or in the case of ASDOH, emphasis on community service and volunteering). Just something to consider when all the grades, scores, and hours are on the table. :)