Nov 6, 2010
Status
I'm a freshman attending Rutgers University right now.
I have a couple of weeks before making a schedule for the second semester and I just have a couple questions regarding which courses to take.

I'm aware that some dental schools require one year of English.
At Rutgers, all students are required to take Expository Writing which is a semester course.
So that leaves me to take one more writing course and I'm planning on taking Creative Writing.
And I was wondering if Creative Writing fulfilled the requirement.

Another question is I realize that some dental schools don't take AP credits.
I did get a 5 on AP Biology and did not take General Biology first semester.
From what I heard, the dental schools are not so strict about this policy.
This person I know was accepted to NYU Dental school with only taking Gen Bio 2.
So, would it be okay if I took only Gen Bio 2 w/ lab?

Thank you in advance.

Maygyver

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
I'm a freshman attending Rutgers University right now.
I have a couple of weeks before making a schedule for the second semester and I just have a couple questions regarding which courses to take.

I'm aware that some dental schools require one year of English.
At Rutgers, all students are required to take Expository Writing which is a semester course.
So that leaves me to take one more writing course and I'm planning on taking Creative Writing.
And I was wondering if Creative Writing fulfilled the requirement.

Another question is I realize that some dental schools don't take AP credits.
I did get a 5 on AP Biology and did not take General Biology first semester.
From what I heard, the dental schools are not so strict about this policy.
This person I know was accepted to NYU Dental school with only taking Gen Bio 2.
So, would it be okay if I took only Gen Bio 2 w/ lab?

Thank you in advance.
You should be fine with that writing class.

As far as AP credits go, I think a lot of that depends on the individual schools. I have seen a few posts from people saying that they have to go back and take a class because the school doesn't accept AP credits. If I were you, I would just take Bio 1. It should be a good refresher course for you, and hopefully an easy A. It will also help you get a more solid background for when you get into your upper level biology courses.

OP
D
Nov 6, 2010
Status
I'm planning on taking higher level biology classes, including genetics and anatomy/physiology, in the future.
Would skipping Biology 1 really matter if I get good grades on Biology 2 and upper level courses?
I just believe that it shouldn't be a big factor unless they realized skipping Biology 1 had a major impact on upper level courses.

Maygyver

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
I'm planning on taking higher level biology classes, including genetics and anatomy/physiology, in the future.
Would skipping Biology 1 really matter if I get good grades on Biology 2 and upper level courses?
I just believe that it shouldn't be a big factor unless they realized skipping Biology 1 had a major impact on upper level courses.
I think some schools require it and don't want AP credit. Just a warning. I think it depends on the school. If you are really against taking Bio 1, call the schools you might apply to and ask. Or look on their sites.

JonNCSU08

5+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Status
Pre-Dental
Most schools just require 8 hours of biology including labs, you do not have to take Bio I, but maybe some schools require it, I am just unaware of those schools.

OP
D
Nov 6, 2010
Status
Usually, the schools are very unclear about their policies.
I'm considering the following schools:
Harvard, Columbia, UPenn, Suny Stony Brook, Buffalo, UMDNJ, NYU, Tufts, BU, and Temple.
Any idea if any of them absolutely do not accept AP credits?

JonNCSU08

5+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Status
Pre-Dental
You need to just look at the school's website instead of asking us. I looked at Harvard's website one second ago, and all they require is 8 hours of biology, not bio I and II. So don't worry about it, take the upper level classes and you will be fine.

MatthewLeeDDS

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2009
Status
Dentist
I hate to be that guy, but your best bet is to call the schools you are considering. My undergrad didn't have a Bio 1 and 2, just a 4 hour class with a lab that was considered Bio 1 and 2 combined. USC didn't recognize this until I told them and had to have an advisor confirm that this was the case. I didn't end up going there, but you get my point. Call (or e-mail) the school and get clarification. Best way to do it.

Maygyver

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Usually, the schools are very unclear about their policies.
I'm considering the following schools:
Harvard, Columbia, UPenn, Suny Stony Brook, Buffalo, UMDNJ, NYU, Tufts, BU, and Temple.
Any idea if any of them absolutely do not accept AP credits?
Call them or just take it. It's up to you. Honestly, I would just take the easy A and extra refresher for future classes. But that's up to you. Or you could just not take it and then see what happens down the line.

Pennywisdom

10+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You don't have to take General Biology lab if you plan to take upper-level bio labs such as Genetics or Molecular Cell lab.

EDIT: If your school has a pre-den/med committee, I'm pretty sure you can get away with not taking General Biology. I know a lot of people who skipped General Bio and went straight to Molec Cell and Genetics and got into dental schools. My best advice is to consult with your pre-den advisor and call each dental school admissions office for clarification.

Last edited:

JOoa0ky

5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
A question concerning the one year english requirement...

I took writing 101 and writing 102 at my 4 year university. Would that sufficiently cover the 1 year english requirement?

I also took an upper level english course over the summer but it was at a community college...

Do I have my bases covered?
Thanks ahead of time! :xf: