Preference for residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lakini

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that quite a few schools show a strong preference for residents of their state (95-99% of those accepted are residents). Unfortunately, I am a VA resident and there are no osteopathic schools in the state. Does anyone out there know if any schools near VA have agreements to give special consideration to VA residents ? I know allopathic schools in some states do this. Also, are there any osteopathic schools that are pretty much out of the question if you are not a resident of that state? I' m particularly interested in AZCOM and NOVA. In general how big a deal is state residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, Lakini

This my first post. Let me say these are great forums. As to your question, I'm not sure if there's a formal agreement, but West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine takes applicants from Virginia, especially if you can demonstrate an interest in serving the Appalachian region of Va.
What part of Va. are you from? I was born in Hampton (I'm in California now), my mom still lives in Newport News. I hear it's COLD back there!
Good luck and God bless,
Toby

[This message has been edited by TobyOrNotToby (edited 01-25-2000).]

Lakini,

Check with the West Virginia school. They might give some preference to VA residents, but they are mainy interested in WV students since it is a state suppported school. Another option is the Pikeville (KY) school. The school is in Eastern KY and only about 30 miles from western edge of Virginia. If you are interested in primary care in a rural or underserved area this could be a great option for you. The school actively looks for people from KY and the surrounding states. This will probably be the closest thing to "preference" for a VA resident. Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info! I know the Pikeville school is relatively new but I'm really interested in that area and think that may be somewhere I'd like to go.
Toby, I actually live in Newport News right now! Small world huh? Why don't you e-mail me and we'll "talk"? [email protected]
Hope to hear from you!

Dave (Lakini)

You have to use the web: it's your greatest source of information, and you can do all the researching yourself. For instance, WVSOM's website plainly states their preferences:

Selection Factors:
The Admissions Committee has the responsibility of accepting applicants on the basis of aptitude, maturity, ability to relate to people, motivation for osteopathic medicine, personal conduct, and scholarship. Letters of recommendation and outside activities are also evaluated to aid in the selection process. A personal interview granted by the Admissions Committee is required before acceptance is considered.

First preference is given to West Virginia residents, who comprise approximately 70 percent of each class. Second preference is given to residents of the other southern Appalachian states.