Preferred Histology Atlas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cpinkows

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question for current or former podiatry students,

What is your preferred histology atlas you used in pod school.
Azpod recommended:
-Young, Lowe, Stevens, Heath: Wheater, Burkitt & Daniels: Functional Histology
(current edition)
-Cui: Atlas of Histology with Functional & Clinical Correlations, (current edition)
-Gartner & Hiatt: Color Atlas of Histology (current edition)

and also said these are other options:
-Berman: Color Atlas of Basic Histology (current edition)
-Kerr: Atlas of Functional Histology (current edition)

Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Histo is annoying and low yield for the boards & your future career. If I had to pick only 1, I'd pick Wheater's (the 1st one on your list)

DMU uses (below). I'm not entirely clear on where you are in your career, but I'll just add that if you are a pre-pod please do not buy these books. Thanks!

-Histology. A Text and Atlas. 6th edition, Ross and Pawlina, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2011.
-Wheater's Functional Histology. 5th edition, B. Young et al, Churchill Livingstone 2006.

Members don't see this ad :)
DMU uses (below). I'm not entirely clear on where you are in your career, but I'll just add that if you are a pre-pod please do not buy these books. Thanks!

-Histology. A Text and Atlas. 6th edition, Ross and Pawlina, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2011.
-Wheater's Functional Histology. 5th edition, B. Young et al, Churchill Livingstone 2006.
Pre-pod until August. "Do not buy" as in just use the one from the campus library or as in you will never use it ever?

I'll mail some specific strategies concerning histology that I've seen people engage in. Other than that - don't buy textbooks till you've (1) looked them over at the school library (2) spoken to 2nd years about whether they are high yield. Future first years at DMU can expect to receive very specific feedback from yours truly about approaching this class.

I'll mail some specific strategies concerning histology that I've seen people engage in. Other than that - don't buy textbooks till you've (1) looked them over at the school library (2) spoken to 2nd years about whether they are high yield. Future first years at DMU can expect to receive very specific feedback from yours truly about approaching this class.

Awesome. I'm willing to hear. Definitely worried about the class over others

Basically the only text you REALLY need is Netter's anatomy atlas for the 1st and 2nd year.

Sometime around 3rd or 4th year you should be thinking about buyin Mcglammary's textbook of foot and ankle surgery.

Anything else can be checked out at the library. Honestly... don't spend a ton of money on textbooks that you will not use.