pregnancy and morning-after question

Started by Rendar5
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Rendar5

Full Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey, uh, figured this was the best place to turn for this question. would prefer to keep it off the lounge where I normally hang 🙄 But if this is sent there, oh well.

polyurethane condom broke upon entry (realized after 5-10 seconds). So pulled out, put another one, and was protected the rest of the time. Afterwards, I asked were she was in her cycle, and she said that she had had her period about a week before. She does have a regular rhythm. So, is there enough of a risk present that I should get her emergency contraception? And would I just call my doctor for a prescription to get to her? (It's not over-the-counter yet, right? FDA had doubts if I remember correctly.)

Thank you, and I appreciate any help you can give me (hopefully won't have to ask this again).
 
Its always better to be on the safe side than not. If pregnancy is not what you guys want (or want to take a chance on) then have her talk to her Ob-Gyn. She has a couple of options, with one being (as you mentioned) the morning after pill. There is also the method of overloading with estrogen, but this is mostly effective within 72 hours of intercourse. It involves doubling the dosage of estrogen intake (the birth control pills), and a second similar dose 12 hours afterwards. Regardless, don't go based on opinions on this forum and be sure to have her talk to her OB-GYN or go to the ED inorder to get the care specific to her situation.

Hope all works out well for you two.