pregnancy during the first semester of pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pigxoxo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really need advice

I will be starting pharmacy in Sept and by that time I will be five months pregnant. My due date is right between my winter break.

For any of you that have gone through this can you give me some advice. How did you deal with school and stuff. Did you have to take a semester off?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I know a girl that had her baby right around when you will be having yours. She had to make arrangements with professors to take her tests a little sooner than everyone else. She did so with no problems. She's now going into her third year and is doing great in school.

As for myself, I had my son the summer before I started pharmacy school. He's now 14 months old. We just made sure we found a good daycare since I'm in school and working and my wife works full time. When I'm studying, my wife either watches him or one of our parents will help out and let her have a break every now and then.

It can definitely be hard at times, but it's very doable. Just look to those you love for help watching him/her. I tell you that because I would not be able to do it on my own. Not saying you couldn't, but I couldn't. And during the school year, I don't get to spend that much time with him but I just know this will all be worth it in the long run. He actually has motivated me to do better in school than I ever have.

So the bottom line is this: don't worry or stress out. This has happened to many people, including me. Just find a daycare and look to parents/ spouse/ friends who would be willing to help with childcare so you can study.

Taking a semester off, in my opinion, isn't necessary, but that is up to you. I didn't, and my classmate mentioned above didn't. For most schools, taking only a semester off isn't an option. If you take off a semester, you may have to stay an extra year due to the prerequisites required to take any later classes.

Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS!

Last edited:
I hate to say this and this is something I have never said before, so pardon my honesty. Knowing you'd probably start pharmacy school sometime within the next few months or one year, I think you should have known better and thought more about the risks of having sexual intercourse, namely pregnancy, in your case. This is your future and if you are about to start pharmacy school, you should have realized that having a child at this point will only make your life more difficult than what it will be like in pharmacy school as it is. That aside, I recommend using adequate birth control and/or protection prior to sexual activity in the future so as to prevent a second pregnancy in pharmacy school.

On another note, I feel that even though your circumstances will be more difficult with a child due soon, I believe you will be successful if you balance academics with your personal life. Chances are, it'll be a major challenge, but if you were able to get into pharmacy school, you'll more than likely get out. Also, if you have a supportive husband and family in general, that will work to your advantage and your spouse can better take care of household and child responsibilities while you are in school. There are MANY parents here on SDN who have managed to get through school. I wish you the best of luck. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
So, no sex from 9 months before school starts to 9 months before graduation? :rolleyes: Seriously, you don't know the circumstances of her pregnancy and even if you did she doesn't need your judgement. No method of birth control is perfect and **** happens.

/cranky

I hate to say this and this is something I have never said before, so pardon my honesty. Knowing you'd probably start pharmacy school sometime within the next few months or one year, I think you should have known better and thought more about the risks of having sexual intercourse, namely pregnancy, in your case. This is your future and if you are about to start pharmacy school, you should have realized that having a child at this point will only make your life more difficult than what it will be like in pharmacy school as it is. That aside, I recommend using adequate birth control and/or protection prior to sexual activity in the future so as to prevent a second pregnancy in pharmacy school.

On another note, I feel that even though your circumstances will be more difficult with a child due soon, I believe you will be successful if you balance academics with your personal life. Chances are, it'll be a major challenge, but if you were able to get into pharmacy school, you'll more than likely get out. Also, if you have a supportive husband and family in general, that will work to your advantage and your spouse can better take care of household and child responsibilities while you are in school. There are MANY parents here on SDN who have managed to get through school. I wish you the best of luck. :thumbup:

I personally do not think you have the right to judge the OP's decision to have a baby. You do not know the circumstances and you do not know whether the baby was planned or not. The OP was asking for an advice how to deal with school while being pregnant not about how to prevent pregnancy.

I personally do not think you have the right to judge the OP's decision to have a baby. You do not know the circumstances and you do not know whether the baby was planned or not. The OP was asking for an advice how to deal with school while being pregnant not about how to prevent pregnancy.

Ditto. Having a baby has little to do with personal aspirations. I have 2 friends (late 20's, early 30's)that gave birth during winter and summer breaks of their professional programs. They are married and the pregnancies were all planned.

Reactions: 1 user
One of my classmates had a baby in February of our third year and didn't take any time off (lucky timing: she managed to have her daughter at the start of spring break). I would say don't be afraid to ask for help--my classmate had her mom looking after baby. I would say, shamelessly exploit any and all family members/friends where possible. DON'T try and be superwoman.

Speaking of bad timing, I became pregnant with my 2nd daughter six weeks after starting a new job as the pharmacist in a city jail. Jails are not nurturing, politically correct work places, and when you're the newbie, and pregnant to boot, and the guards are making fun of you for how often you have to go pee...it was like that.

Speaking of birth control, my daughter owes her existence to the rhythm method.

I found out I was pregnant with my son the Saturday before I started school that Monday. I did take off during my second semester of my first year and returned second semester of the next year. Guess what...my name is Dr. TaShonda Lewis-Taylor (and my son is a happy healthy 9 year old). You can do it, just talk to your professors and the school and let them know what is going on with you. And please don't allow ANYONE to judge you and the fact that you are having a little one. They are God's blessing and he won't give you more than you can handle. Heck, I had a classmate that had her baby on the Saturday before that Labor Day Monday of our first year (her husband was in our class also). That Tuesday he wheeled her to class. Now, that was extreme (we all thought she was crazy, but she did it and with flying colors!). Know your limitations and know their rules for withdrawal. There is nothing wrong with it if you have to and just be prepared if you have to. If you don't, then you are good to go! Good luck and big congrats (I just had my second...he's 3 mos...and YES I PLAN TO TRY TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL)!

So, no sex from 9 months before school starts to 9 months before graduation? :rolleyes: Seriously, you don't know the circumstances of her pregnancy and even if you did she doesn't need your judgement. No method of birth control is perfect and **** happens.

/cranky

Settle down there speed racer.

He was only giving his opinion. Although it is to late I believe it to be right on. Use a little common sense and birth control.

Is it going to be easy? Is having a baby easy under any circumastaces? NO! To get pregnant right before Pharmacy School will only increase the difficulty and anxiety. I am sure its possible but who would want to?

Good luck.....

seriously, are you for real?

did your parents let you play with other children?

I'm a lovely combination of :eek::confused::laugh::laugh:

and we have had several women have babies during pharmacy school. I haven't seen anyone take even a week off between labor and coming back to school. At least you're due over a break from classes!

A lot of women's dream is to have children AND be successful and guess what...it happens all the time.

I totally respect your decision to be a mother and a pharmacist. The people I respect the most are the ones that have personal lives besides school.

And furthermore...there's one girl in my class planning to get pregnant 8 months before graduation so she can graduate and pop the kid out and get to work. All I have to say is...GO HER! The graduation gown will hide her bump anyway.

There's a girl in my class who was pregnant when school started and gave birth the week before finals. She said it was difficult, but she passed her finals was back in class for the Spring semester, and appears to be doing well.

When class starts, make friends and build a solid support network. Anyone can run into a difficult time with pharmacy school whether it's pregnancy, a death in the family, financial drama, and anything else that life can throw at us. It's a lot easier to cope with when you have good friends you can depend on.

Members don't see this ad :)
seriously, are you for real?

did your parents let you play with other children?

I'm a lovely combination of :eek::confused::laugh::laugh:

and we have had several women have babies during pharmacy school. I haven't seen anyone take even a week off between labor and coming back to school. At least you're due over a break from classes!

Yes, I mean exactly what I stated. Besides, like Mountain said above, it is my opinion and apparently I'm not completely alone in it either. Why does a person get attacked for expressing nothing but an opinion or other perspective? Call me naive or whatever you'd like, as I only recently turned 22, but and I'll say this without regard for what you or anyone else responds, I do not think with my penis. I just happen to feel that if I know i'm headed to pharmacy school and I have a marriage partner, I will use protection, make sure she uses protection and birth control as well before engaging in sexual activity. Why? Because I want to avoid having a child while in pharmacy school, especially if I know it will only make my life and my wife's life difficult. I have not stated a couple can't have sex because of pharmacy school, but I did state it is the easier path and perhaps more sensible to avoid pregnancy while in school. That's all I said. Personally, I'd rather wait until my education is over before having a child. Simple as that.

Like momoftwosons above stated, children can be a blessing. However, it is simply my OPINION that they are more of a hassle than anything while trying to get through school. This is especially true when embarking on an arduous and emotionally draining 4 years of professional education. Sure, many people complete their education while raising a child and do so gracefully and with ease, but that doesn't mean everyone can do the same. Some people will struggle. Clearly, the OP was asking for advice about how to deal with raising a child and managing pharmacy school because she is rightfully concerned about the situation. And if for some reason she turns out to be one of those who struggles with raising a child and pursuing a professional education, then she has dug herself into a hole. In that case, I simply suggested she be careful and avoid pregnancy by using a common sense approach while in pharmacy school. If, on the other hand, she manages to do well in both, then I wished her best of luck and encouraged her.

And one thing, njac. Please, I'd appreciate if you left my parents out of this. As a matter of fact, I don't even know why you brought my parents into this, but leave them out. You don't know me or my parents. My parents are great and why should parents be involved with my having a certain opinion? No one has indoctrinated me; I am not 8 years old. I have my opinion and if you don't like it, GREAT. I COULD CARE LESS. Everytime someone expresses a radical or deviant opinion per se, someone on SDN begins to battle. Just read the "How do I deal with this?" thread.

Thank you so much guys for all the great advice and support.

I know the decision to have a kid during pharmacy is difficult and some people (my parent for instant) might think I am crazy, but if God give me this kid I will keep it because I think everything happen for a reason.

Thanks again all of you.:)

Congratulations!

I am a non-traditional student with already established family. And I had my baby boy 1 week after my first semester of pharmacy school started. It was difficult but very doable. I had a few people to help me out, and I was beack to school ten days after he was born. I finished semester with 4.0. I have to add that I have a lot of friends at school who were willing to tape lectures for me when I could not come to school.

I also talked to dean before semester started and he gave me an option to take academic leave of abcence if I feel that this is too much for me. I would still stay in Pharmacy school, just would start one year later.

One more thing, If you are considering using a large daycare - be careful little infants suck in every infection they can and thus stay home sick alot:(.

Good luck.

wait wait wait....let me get this straight....

you have to have sex to have a baby?

Yes, I mean exactly what I stated. Besides, like Mountain said above, it is my opinion and apparently I'm not completely alone in it either. Why does a person get attacked for expressing nothing but an opinion or other perspective? Call me naive or whatever you'd like, as I only recently turned 22, but and I'll say this without regard for what you or anyone else responds, I do not think with my penis. I just happen to feel that if I know i'm headed to pharmacy school and I have a marriage partner, I will use protection, make sure she uses protection and birth control as well before engaging in sexual activity. Why? Because I want to avoid having a child while in pharmacy school, especially if I know it will only make my life and my wife's life difficult. I have not stated a couple can't have sex because of pharmacy school, but I did state it is the easier path and perhaps more sensible to avoid pregnancy while in school. That's all I said. Personally, I'd rather wait until my education is over before having a child. Simple as that.

Like momoftwosons above stated, children can be a blessing. However, it is simply my OPINION that they are more of a hassle than anything while trying to get through school. This is especially true when embarking on an arduous and emotionally draining 4 years of professional education. Sure, many people complete their education while raising a child and do so gracefully and with ease, but that doesn't mean everyone can do the same. Some people will struggle. Clearly, the OP was asking for advice about how to deal with raising a child and managing pharmacy school because she is rightfully concerned about the situation. And if for some reason she turns out to be one of those who struggles with raising a child and pursuing a professional education, then she has dug herself into a hole. In that case, I simply suggested she be careful and avoid pregnancy by using a common sense approach while in pharmacy school. If, on the other hand, she manages to do well in both, then I wished her best of luck and encouraged her.

And one thing, njac. Please, I'd appreciate if you left my parents out of this. As a matter of fact, I don't even know why you brought my parents into this, but leave them out. You don't know me or my parents. My parents are great and why should parents be involved with my having a certain opinion? No one has indoctrinated me; I am not 8 years old. I have my opinion and if you don't like it, GREAT. I COULD CARE LESS. Everytime someone expresses a radical or deviant opinion per se, someone on SDN begins to battle. Just read the "How do I deal with this?" thread.

I don't think that the complaint is over you or your parents, it's rather the accusatory tone in which you not so subtlely implied that the poster got pregnant in a willy-nilly fashion. It's clear that you don't like assumptions being made about you, your upbringing, and your parents, so why make the same assumptions about others?

yeah, 'cuz you're a guy. male pharmacy students having babies while in school just can't compare at all to female pharmacy students having babies--period. ooh, crying babies, diapers, feeding, ooh big deal, daddies always get a ton of help. it's the pharmacy mommies that always have it 10 times harder from newborn and up (and I'm not even a mom yet; I have friends who are)--breastfeeding, cooking, cleaning, washing, laundry, feeding, dealing w/ whiny and sick kids and sometimes many women claim the husband is like the 2nd child. I'm not saying the dads don't do this but you damn be right that pharmacy mommies have it 10 times harder than pharmacy daddies so for you to "advise" the OP not to take time off--or even RUB in that you had a kid and didn't have to take time off--is just baloney.

The friend of a parent line doesn't really hold water. No offense. Try having a wife who's abdomen is sliced open. A newborn, a two year old, and a female who just went through nine months of pregnancy and now can't physically do much of anything on her own and I "have it easy" because "daddies get a ton of help". Sure, I'm not the one with the 8 inch scar across my abdomen, but it certainly wasn't easy to be the one responsible for the welfare of all involved during that recovery period. I certainly wouldn't plan something like that my first year.

As for the OP, too late to give you advice on whether or not it'd be a good idea to be pregnant the 1st year, but as for the doability, it all depends on your resources. A good husband/SO and nearby relatives go a long way, beyond that hopefully you're able to pick up material quickly if you have to skip class for some reason. Making friends in class will help with any lectures that are missed. Perhaps fraternity involvement might avail you of old tests if such things are allowable at your school.

Congratulations! Several of my classmates had children during school. I know someone had their child 6 weeks into start of school.

I chose not to have one during school because I wanted to be able to spend time with my child. My daughter was 8 months old at start of school and I am due with another one in a few months. Considering you are due in winter break, its good that you will at least have some time with the baby.

I really don't understand why some of previous posts are so judgemental regarding how one gets pregnant. Not everyone who is pregnant became so due to lack of appropriate birth control or felt too horny!!

And one thing, njac. Please, I'd appreciate if you left my parents out of this. As a matter of fact, I don't even know why you brought my parents into this, but leave them out. You don't know me or my parents. My parents are great and why should parents be involved with my having a certain opinion?

You are not going to make it in pharmacy. You need to have thick skin to make it and obviously you crapped in your pants when your mommy :cry: was brought up.

warning: "you" refers to ALL pharmacy students (not targetting the OP)--
BOTTOM LINE: be pro-active, use any and all birth control methods as well as you can (abstinence has a 100% success rate), don't be horny.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

abstinence
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

seroiusly, why do so many pharmacy students **** up and get pregnant? is it that hard to use some ****ing birth control? forget the "s/he's only human, mistakes happen" this ain't a small mistake! or the "you don't know the circumstances"--circumstance my ass. seriously, before counseling others to use some form of birth control (be it condoms) like we learn in OTC class, try doing it yourselves. quit panicking/complaining/whining and get yourselves a supportive spouse and some daycare instead of having to be wussy and take time off. for those that **** up, why should your classmates bend their backs and help you guys by giving you their notes that you guys couldn't take because you had to be horny and pop out a kid?

BOTTOM LINE: be pro-active, use any and all birth control methods as well as you can (abstinence has a 100% success rate), don't be horny.

my understanding is that the majority of the pregnancies that have occurred in my class were planned. There is no "perfect time" to get pregnant - even after you graduate.

You are not going to make it in pharmacy. You need to have thick skin to make it and obviously you crapped in your pants when your mommy :cry: was brought up.

Nah. Just because I wrote that doesn't mean I was angry or upset when I did. On the contrary, I was calm and just let her know it doesn't make sense to bring up a parent. For all she knows or for all you know, my mother or my father could have passed away from cancer and it would be quite rude and heartless to bring them up in an attempt to attack me. The problem with online text is that it doesn't always convey strong emotion; but, like I said, I was pretty neutral when she wrote that...didn't like it, but didn't affect me much at all.

As for not having thick skin, I would have to agree that I lacked one prior to working my first pharmacy job as a clerk. Over time, however, I could care less what rude or belligerent patients tell me when they don't get what they want. But thanks for your concern about not making it in pharmacy due to lack of a thick skin.

why should your classmates bend their backs and help you guys by giving you their notes that you guys couldn't take because you had to be horny and pop out a kid?

They do it because they have this crazy, far-out concept called friendship and loyalty. They want to see their friend succeed and are willing to help out. Also when you don't behave like a judgmental jackass people are more likely to help you out should anything unfortunate happen.

quit panicking/complaining/whining and get yourselves a supportive spouse and some daycare instead of having to be wussy and take time off.

Wow, you have quite an interesting grasp on reality there.

yeah, 'cuz you're a guy. male pharmacy students having babies while in school just can't compare at all to female pharmacy students having babies--period. ooh, crying babies, diapers, feeding, ooh big deal, daddies always get a ton of help. it's the pharmacy mommies that always have it 10 times harder from newborn and up (and I'm not even a mom yet; I have friends who are)--breastfeeding, cooking, cleaning, washing, laundry, feeding, dealing w/ whiny and sick kids and sometimes many women claim the husband is like the 2nd child. I'm not saying the dads don't do this but you damn be right that pharmacy mommies have it 10 times harder than pharmacy daddies so for you to "advise" the OP not to take time off--or even RUB in that you had a kid and didn't have to take time off--is just baloney.

I never implied that I have it harder or that female pharmacy students have it harder with babies in school. Sure, women do have to go through the physical labor and may NEED to take time off for that. But let me tell you, I do help with the crying, the diapers, the feeding, etc. It was our choice to have our son and WE take care of him. I don't know what kind of husbands your friends have, but I do a lot of work for my son, in and outside of the house to make sure we're okay. I can imagine that it would be harder for a woman in pharmacy school. I was just offering the OP MY experience, and a little encouragement, because she is worried about her pharmacy school career. And it is possible for her to do well.

I didn't "advise" her not to take time off. As you may recall, I stated "that is up to you." I know females in school with children. Sure, it's hard for them. I know other males with kids too. We're all in the same boat, working toward a common means. We have experienced it, and you haven't. So don't call something "baloney" when you haven't had to make a decision like that. Are you pushing the OP to take off a semester? Neither of us will make that decision for her.

Last edited:

seroiusly, why do so many pharmacy students **** up and get pregnant? is it that hard to use some ****ing birth control? forget the "s/he's only human, mistakes happen" this ain't a small mistake! or the "you don't know the circumstances"--circumstance my ass. seriously, before counseling others to use some form of birth control (be it condoms) like we learn in OTC class, try doing it yourselves. quit panicking/complaining/whining and get yourselves a supportive spouse and some daycare instead of having to be wussy and take time off. for those that **** up, why should your classmates bend their backs and help you guys by giving you their notes that you guys couldn't take because you had to be horny and pop out a kid?

Wow, I wonder how many "mistakes" there are in the world. This happens to people everywhere, and it's not always at the most convenient time. Life doesn't always go exactly as planned. I find it funny that you're some sort of healthcare professional with that attitude.

In your previous post, you said my comment was baloney because I told her not to take time off. Now you're calling the OP a wussy if she does take time off? Nice trolling, buddy.

Sex, drugs, and pharmacy school. It all goes together. We have to relieve stress somehow. Sheesh.

have you ever even had sex? it just seems like such a naive standpoint and i dont think you really understand

I Knowing you'd probably start pharmacy school sometime within the next few months or one year, I think you should have known better and thought more about the risks of having sexual intercourse, namely pregnancy, in your case. This is your future and if you are about to start pharmacy school, you should have realized that having a child at this point will only make your life more difficult than what it will be like in pharmacy school as it is. That aside, I recommend using adequate birth control and/or protection prior to sexual activity in the future so as to prevent a second pregnancy in pharmacy school.

Can't we just cut out the pregnancy threads all together? :D Everyone will have a different situation anyway. ;)

To the OP:

A student in my class was in the same boat as you are--she was pregnant the first semester in pharmacy school (although you would never have known it, she didn't really show until the last month).

But anyway, it timed out well for her because she was due a few days after our last final before the winter break. So she had her little girl a few days after our final exam. She didn't take any time off because luckily her mother was able to help her quite a bit.

I know there were times she was pretty stressed out, but she did REALLY well in school. In fact, she ended up having the highest GPA in our graduating class!

Good luck, and congrats!

No offense but this sounds very sexist on your part...the reason y i say this is because only a man would say something sexist like that in regard to pregnancies. that's my 2 cents.

I find it humorous to read the advice given by young people or those who have never experienced the topic being discussed. I am positive that I did the same thing myself 20 years ago.

My advice to the OP is make sure your body is fully recovered before you go back to school. Find a way to take 20-minute naps (no LONGER) once or twice a day so that your mind is fresh for studying. My husband and I had a deal where I would get the late night/early morning feedings and he would get any feedings after 3 a.m. That way I was going to work on at least a solid 3-4 hours sleep. My husband is a wonderful father! If you take care of your body as best you can, you should be able to make it through. It gets better after just a month or two (or so) when the babies start sleeping through the night. Congratulations and good luck!

Ditto. Having a baby has little to do with personal aspirations. I have 2 friends (late 20's, early 30's)that gave birth during winter and summer breaks of their professional programs. They are married and the pregnancies were all planned.

I disagree with that blanket statement. It requires a lot of responsibility, and compromises. I know folks who have had babies in pharm school. But, you could also ask to defer your acceptance for a year to take care of personal matters.