Pregnant during fellowship interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hemOnc2018

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My background:
2nd year IM resident in a community program, IMG on J1 visa, will be applying widely to about 100 programs in hemonc and onc.

I am pregnant with a due date around first week of September. I wanted to know if somebody could comment on how many IV date options we get when invited. From last years forums I see that IMG's are usually invited for interview late in the app season. Also how flexible are programs to if I want to interview late in the season (like late september).
 
It varies but they definitely give you fewer options than in residency. The range is 1 to 5 dates I would say. It's not uncommon for a program to send you an invite with one date and you take it or leave it. Now if you call them and say you're expecting a baby that week and you're really interested, I think most will try their best to accommodate you (if they can).

The only other thing you can do is to be very proactive in scheduling your interviews and reply as soon as you hear from a program instead of sitting on the invite for a week before acting.