Pregnant MCAT Tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wanderingstudent10.10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
My husband and I have decided to start our family during my gap year so our child would be about a year and a half by the time I matriculate (if I get in my first cycle), right now I am 17 weeks pregnant. I was slated to take the MCAT in January when I would be 24 weeks, but unfortunately, that didn't work out as my husband and I have to move cross country during that time (thanks, military!). Anyways, I have registered for the next available test date in March. It is within a month of my due date so I will be heavily pregnant (just barely 36 weeks) taking my exam. I am finishing my last quarter of college and despite being very ill in the first trimester with hyperemesis I have not had "baby brain", and am functioning at capacity so not so much worried about that aspect of things. The physical strain at 36 weeks is what I am concerned about. Does anyone have any tips/experience with being pregnant during the MCAT? I am thinking compression socks, comfortable clothes...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You may want to apply for accommodations with the AAMC on their website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would wait until May or June if I were you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I may be male, but from what I am learning about pregnancy, don't take it until after you've given birth. In the third trimester, the baby will be weighing down on your bladder and you WILL, not may, WILL pee your pants and need to go to the bathroom every so often. Not to mention how tired you will be.

Do it before baby comes. You will be too tired, too worried, and too sore to take it afterwards. Especially if you breastfeed. As long as you feel up to par, you'll be fine. I'd look into the special accommodations and definitely take all of your breaks for food and bathroom.

Reactions: 5 users
Do it before baby comes. You will be too tired, too worried, and too sore to take it afterwards. Especially if you breastfeed. As long as you feel up to par, you'll be fine. I'd look into the special accommodations and definitely take all of your breaks for food and bathroom.
Oh and you've got a good idea on the compression socks. Definitely comfortable clothes, but that's a given even if you're not pregnant.

Bathroom: yes. You may need a break every 2 hours.
Tired: not so much unless you are not sleeping well. In terms of tiredness, the first semester is the worst.
The baby doesn't have much room to move around toward the end so there isn't as much aggressive kicking.

I worked until 10 hours before my first child's birth and took phone calls from the office while in active labor with the second. It shouldn't be a big deal.

Reactions: 11 users
Tired: not so much unless you are not sleeping well. In terms of tiredness, the first semester is the worst.
The baby doesn't have much room to move around toward the end so there isn't as much aggressive kicking.

I worked until 10 hours before my first child's birth and took phone calls from the office while in active labor with the second. It shouldn't be a big deal.
Good lord. Were you forced to work or did you prefer to work during that time?

I can tell from your posts you are not a woman to mess with, but this has got me on my knees worshipping you.

Reactions: 5 users
I may be male, but from what I am learning about pregnancy, don't take it until after you've given birth. In the third trimester, the baby will be weighing down on your bladder and you WILL, not may, WILL pee your pants and need to go to the bathroom every so often. Not to mention how tired you will be.

This....between the tiredness, the uncomfortable seating for a long MCAT exam, and needing to toilet frequently, I think it would be a nightmare taking the exam at 8 months.

Good lord. Were you forced to work or did you prefer to work during that time?

I was able to work until quitting time. It would not have occurred to me to stay home as I was not in active labor until later that evening.

With the other, colleagues called the hospital thinking that I'd already had the baby. I answered their questions about research subjects and helped a student with some data analysis software programming as I was still able to talk between contractions. Frankly, it is good to have something that takes your mind off things if only for a few minutes.

Reactions: 7 users

:bow:

Reactions: 2 users
I think working in a professional job is different than taking an all-day exam in some likely not comfortable chair. While working, one can sip a beverage, get up, walk around, get a bite to eat, go to the ladies, almost any time they want....and coworkers/colleagues understand.

Members don't see this ad :)
I read on a previous post where Gonnif mentioned someone they advised had a really bad MCAT score like a 15 on the old one, but they got accepted because they took it under high levels of duress and took it abroad doing some Peace Corps mission I believe. I'm sure you can easily justify why your MCAT could have been higher on your secondaries and update letters with the proper documentation, of course. This is if you end up taking it while pregnant. Or you can spend a couple months recovering from the childbirth before taking it. It's your call.

I read on a previous post where Gonnif mentioned someone they advised had a really bad MCAT score like a 15 on the old one, but they got accepted because they took it under high levels of duress and took it abroad doing some Peace Corps mission I believe. I'm sure you can easily justify why your MCAT could have been higher on your secondaries and update letters with the proper documentation, of course. This is if you end up taking it while pregnant. Or you can spend a couple months recovering from the childbirth before taking it. It's your call.
Lol, those are two entirely different situations, and you can't just say the response to a low MCAT will be similar between each.

Lol, those are two entirely different situations, and you can't just say the response to a low MCAT will be similar between each.

They're the same in the fact they are not in the optimal condition to take the MCAT.

please stop giving terrible advice. In fact, maybe don't give mcat advice until you've taken the mcat?

Reactions: 4 users
They're the same in the fact they are not in the optimal condition to take the MCAT.
So there's no other factors to consider.....like what exactly the situation is, how controllable one's schedule is, or how admirable the situation is perceived. Lol I'm sorry, I want to start a family in the future too, but I think being deployed or otherwise being in a dangerous area for service, which might be what gonnif had referred to, is a lot more respected and so stands out in a more positive way.

I didn't give any advice. I told them something I saw Gonnif say and gave them their choices.
That's the politician's answer. Yeah you did give them advice
I'm sure you can easily justify why your MCAT could have been higher on your secondaries and update letters with the proper documentation, of course. This is if you end up taking it while pregnant. Or you can spend a couple months recovering from the childbirth before taking it. It's your call.
You don't have to tell somebody to do something to give them advice. Giving out information and laying out decisions is enough

My advice was to take it after (in an earlier post), but I looked at it from another angle and see what other options could exist for OP.

That one was simply displaying their options.

Compare that to what I said regarding taking it after birth. :)

My advice was to take it after (in an earlier post), but I looked at it from another angle and see what other options could exist for OP.

That one was simply displaying their options.

Compare that to what I said regarding taking it after birth. :)
Dude, I don't think saying "I was about to have a baby which is why I did so poorly" is an option. She'd probably have to retake it if it was <506 for MD, regardless of that. Don't bring up options that aren't viable

Dude, I don't think saying "I was about to have a baby which is why I did so poorly" is an option. She'd probably have to retake it if it was <506 for MD, regardless of that. Don't bring up options that aren't viable

I was relating that to something I saw Gonnif said. Maybe it was a stretch. We all see things differently. Regardless my advice is nonetheless, to take it AFTER the baby.

I was relating that to something I saw Gonnif said. Maybe it was a stretch. We all see things differently. Regardless my advice is nonetheless, to take it AFTER the baby.
You are not contributing positively to this thread.
please stop giving terrible advice. In fact, maybe don't give mcat advice until you've taken the mcat?
. . . Even better, infectiousdisease101, after you've been pregnant while taking the MCAT.

Reactions: 7 users
I have not taken the MCAT, but I have given birth five times. I say do it before baby comes! Yes, you will be uncomfortable at 8 months pregnant, but you will be WAY MORE TIRED after baby comes. That is when the real baby brain kicks in! Plus, the post partum bleeding and milk leaking will also have you physically uncomfortable (depending on how long after delivery you take the test). If you plan on nursing, that can be a huge problem. Would you be able to pump several times if you had special accommodations? It doesn't just mess with your supply to skip pumping, it also makes your breasts rock hard and very painful! Plus, baby's sleepless nights (and yours, too) can last for years, so you can't really plan around that.

As your pregnancy progresses, study in "test-like" conditions, with compression hose, etc. See how many bathroom breaks you need, and listen to your body. It may be fine for one pregnant woman, and not for another. Good luck!

Reactions: 11 users
I have never been pregnant or given birth, but I have taken the MCAT. You can take bathroom breaks as needed, but it eats into your time unless it's during a designated "break time." But you get breaks every 1.5 hours, so you might be okay. I would personally prefer to take it at 8 months only because that gives you the option to take it again later AND I still think taking it pregnant is probably easier than taking it right after you've had a baby - SO many things going on then. All that to say, I really just came her to tell you good luck! You'll kill it!!

Hi all, little late back to the party, just wanted to say thanks for all the suggestions. To those that are suggesting taking the exam 1-2 months post-partum, I imagine you've never had a newborn. I plan to breastfeed and without appropriate accommodations for pumping milk and the constant night- time waking, I would rather put things off another year than do so a month post-partum. It's not as though the baby comes out and it's all back to normal as other commenters have noted. I also don't expect medical schools to cut me any slack for taking it pregnant... I want to start medical school with a small child, that's a big undertaking that I need to be ready for (and to show schools I am ready for). Like any other applicant, I have to prove that I am able to meet the requirements of school regardless of my life situation, which I intend to. Thank you for the well wishes!

Update: Got through the March 24th testing date at 36.5 weeks pregnant. Was scoring well on aamc fl practice tests taken under testing conditions a week out from my test date so now it's the long wait until May 1st. Thanks for all the tips from everyone! Compression socks and taking the breaks scheduled was sufficient and it actually wasn't that bad. Ended up skipping most of the break time and finished my exam within 6 hours.

Reactions: 16 users
Update: Got through the March 24th testing date at 36.5 weeks pregnant. Was scoring well on aamc fl practice tests taken under testing conditions a week out from my test date so now it's the long wait until May 1st. Thanks for all the tips from everyone! Compression socks and taking the breaks scheduled was sufficient and it actually wasn't that bad. Ended up skipping most of the break time and finished my exam within 6 hours.

Thank you for the update and happy labor day

Update:
I scored a 513. I'm happy with my score and it is very much within my practice scores range.

Last edited:
Reactions: 23 users
Update:
I scored a 513. I'm happy with my score and it is very much within my practice scores range.

My son was born 4/25, unfortunately he was born with a congenital heart defect that was not detected antenataly and we are awaiting surgery for him on Friday. He is a tough little guy and we are hoping for the best outcome possible.
Congrats on your score and your new baby!!!

It must be tough for you guys with his heart defect. I'm sending you good vibes and hopes and all that jazz for you and yours!!!

Congratulations on becoming a mom and on that great score! Wishing you and your son all the best. I hope the surgery goes smoothly.

Reactions: 4 users
Wonderful score - sending you and your son positive vibes for a speedy and easy recovery <3

Reactions: 1 users
Update:

My son was born 4/25, unfortunately he was born with a congenital heart defect that was not detected antenataly and we are awaiting surgery for him on Friday. He is a tough little guy and we are hoping for the best outcome possible.

Congratulations on a great score and your precious new son! My prayers are with you, him, and the rest of your family. I hope his surgery goes smoothly.

Congrats on the great score, OP. I wish you and your son all the best.

I know I’m very late to this discussion but I wanted to post just in case an expectant mom and applicant comes across this thread looking for similar advice.

I took the MCAT when I was 20 weeks pregnant and I would say that the second trimester is the PERFECT time to take the exam if you can plan for it. I had pretty bad morning sickness and fatigue throughout the first trimester which made it a little tough to study (I was also working full-time and taking post-bac classes) but I felt much better by the time I sat for the exam. In hindsight I think I could have taken in in the third trimester just as well but I was definitely feeling excited about and distracted by my approaching due-date, so I’m glad I opted to take it earlier. I would never, never, NEVER have been able to take it after my son was born. For the first 4 months of his life I was practically a zombie. I don’t think I ever got more than 3 hours of uninterrupted sleep until he turned 6 months old. Granted, my husband and I have no family nearby and he has a very demanding job (60-80 hour weeks) so nearly all of my son’s care was on me. If you have a strong support-system and get a magical sleepy baby then perhaps a test date after the baby comes could work for you...but just know that those first few months can be so very difficult.

Best of luck to all the moms and dads preparing to apply to medical school! I’m rooting for you!

Hi All,
My husband and I have decided to start our family during my gap year so our child would be about a year and a half by the time I matriculate (if I get in my first cycle), right now I am 17 weeks pregnant. I was slated to take the MCAT in January when I would be 24 weeks, but unfortunately, that didn't work out as my husband and I have to move cross country during that time (thanks, military!). Anyways, I have registered for the next available test date in March. It is within a month of my due date so I will be heavily pregnant (just barely 36 weeks) taking my exam. I am finishing my last quarter of college and despite being very ill in the first trimester with hyperemesis I have not had "baby brain", and am functioning at capacity so not so much worried about that aspect of things. The physical strain at 36 weeks is what I am concerned about. Does anyone have any tips/experience with being pregnant during the MCAT? I am thinking compression socks, comfortable clothes...

I interviewed very pregnant, I did not take the MCAT pregnant. So, my advice is more from the perspective of pregnancy in general and not having been in your exact situation.

The people that are saying to wait to take the MCAT until after baby is born, frankly, have probably never had a baby. The months with your new baby, especially your first baby, are overwhelming emotionally and in terms of sleep. Everyone's experience is different, mind you. I don't think that you were considering moving it until after the birth, but just in case you get that idea, I don't think it's a good call.

In my experience, the last trimester was more bearable than the previous two. I, too, had hyperemesis. Bless your heart because that is just awful to deal with. I digress, compression socks are a great idea. Don't over hydrate, although you will still need the bathroom. In terms of compression socks, make sure you buy quality and wear them ahead of time so that you are used to them by the time you sit MCAT. Comfortable shoes, stretchy cotton yoga pants, and a hoodie/sweater as well. I would be worried about chair comfort. I had painful SI joints and a very painful tailbone at that point. If you aren't having those issues no worries, and I'm not sure what the process would be to be able to bring a donut pillow or at least a seat cushion.

I honestly think that people overstate late pregnancy being some life-altering deal. It isn't the most comfortable you will ever be, grant you that, but I think your plan is great and I'm proud of you for tackling this test.

I interviewed very pregnant, I did not take the MCAT pregnant. So, my advice is more from the perspective of pregnancy in general and not having been in your exact situation.

The people that are saying to wait to take the MCAT until after baby is born, frankly, have probably never had a baby. The months with your new baby, especially your first baby, are overwhelming emotionally and in terms of sleep. Everyone's experience is different, mind you. I don't think that you were considering moving it until after the birth, but just in case you get that idea, I don't think it's a good call.

In my experience, the last trimester was more bearable than the previous two. I, too, had hyperemesis. Bless your heart because that is just awful to deal with. I digress, compression socks are a great idea. Don't over hydrate, although you will still need the bathroom. In terms of compression socks, make sure you buy quality and wear them ahead of time so that you are used to them by the time you sit MCAT. Comfortable shoes, stretchy cotton yoga pants, and a hoodie/sweater as well. I would be worried about chair comfort. I had painful SI joints and a very painful tailbone at that point. If you aren't having those issues no worries, and I'm not sure what the process would be to be able to bring a donut pillow or at least a seat cushion.

I honestly think that people overstate late pregnancy being some life-altering deal. It isn't the most comfortable you will ever be, grant you that, but I think your plan is great and I'm proud of you for tackling this test.

Just realized that this is, um, old... But congrats OP! and I'll leave it in case the advice is useful for anyone else :D