Pregnant residents amid the apocalypse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doyouhaveaflag

No flag, no country
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recognize I'm probably reaching out to a very small number of people - those surgical (or other) residents who happen to be pregnant during this pandemic. Just curious what people's experiences have been.

I'm full term but working normally without any extra precautions except those put in place by the hospital for all residents. Our hospital happens to have a fairly high burden of COVID-19 infected patients both admitted and showing up symptomatic to the ED for r/o.

I have mixed feelings about this situation. On the one hand, I suppose there is the potential for me to get sick, to deliver while I'm sick, or to otherwise have a disaster outcome. On the other hand, I haven't asked for any special resident treatment so far during this pregnancy and I don't want to start now. That's just not the culture of the surgical resident. Even if I did ask for special precautions, what would I ask for? More PPE? To start maternity leave early when I'm already putting strain on my coresidents by taking leave? Another pregnant resident I know was actually denied fit testing for the N 95 masks because her "face would change shape and size" during pregnancy and it would be pointless. We don't seem to have those masks around anyway, people stole them all when the outbreak hit this area.

Just curious if anyone else is in the same boat and what you/your program/your hospital have been doing for pregnant residents?

Members don't see this ad.

Seven months along here, with asthma as well. I’m trying to go business as usual as much as possible - rounding, operating - but my co-residents and attendings have been looking out for me too. I usually come in to find the night team already rounded on anyone with a cough.

I’m wearing a surgical mask, eye protection and gloves for basically every patient now, although I don’t change the mask on rounds unless it gets dirty. I haven’t operated on any suspicious patients yet and will likely refuse to do so without an N95 - our infection control director told me that in our ORs, once aerosol is generated by intubation it’s considered to linger for the rest of the case. My PD backs me up on this and said he will guarantee correct PPE for cases where warranted.

I did think about starting my leave early but frankly I want as much time after baby comes as I can get.

Not pregnant myself but am in OBGYN residency with pregnant co-residents. Our hospital has excused any pregnant or breastfeeding women from taking care of patients known or suspected to have COVID.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recognize I'm probably reaching out to a very small number of people - those surgical (or other) residents who happen to be pregnant during this pandemic. Just curious what people's experiences have been.

I'm full term but working normally without any extra precautions except those put in place by the hospital for all residents. Our hospital happens to have a fairly high burden of COVID-19 infected patients both admitted and showing up symptomatic to the ED for r/o.

I have mixed feelings about this situation. On the one hand, I suppose there is the potential for me to get sick, to deliver while I'm sick, or to otherwise have a disaster outcome. On the other hand, I haven't asked for any special resident treatment so far during this pregnancy and I don't want to start now. That's just not the culture of the surgical resident. Even if I did ask for special precautions, what would I ask for? More PPE? To start maternity leave early when I'm already putting strain on my coresidents by taking leave? Another pregnant resident I know was actually denied fit testing for the N 95 masks because her "face would change shape and size" during pregnancy and it would be pointless. We don't seem to have those masks around anyway, people stole them all when the outbreak hit this area.

Just curious if anyone else is in the same boat and what you/your program/your hospital have been doing for pregnant residents?

Fyi

Stay safe everyone

It’s time as a field (medicine) that we do a better job of protecting our own. Your concerns for being pregnant and taking care of Covid patients is valid. I’d request helping out as much as possible but in the capacity of taking care of non-Covidn patients, especially if you do not have PPE.

Reactions: 1 user
We have a policy at our tertiary care center to prevent Staff who are pregnant from caring for COVID-19 patients
At the tertiary care center near me, no women after 37 weeks allowed to do direct care to covid patients. Imagine if you picked up covid right before delivery and had to quarantine from baby for two weeks.

Don’t do anything without the right ppe. Hard stop. Don’t go in the room, not your problem

Don’t do anything without the right ppe. Hard stop. Don’t go in the room, not your problem

depending on which part of the country, you might have to assume every patient has it. You won’t be able to wear “appropriate PPE” for every patient.

also, if everyone took your position maybe we could force our government or admin to find away to get PPE. When you’re the only one with such a “hard stop” you’ll be fired for refusing to do your job.

Pregnant workers in my town are being excused from seeing patients who are positive or with a pending test.

Reactions: 2 users
depending on which part of the country, you might have to assume every patient has it. You won’t be able to wear “appropriate PPE” for every patient.

also, if everyone took your position maybe we could force our government or admin to find away to get PPE. When you’re the only one with such a “hard stop” you’ll be fired for refusing to do your job.

Pregnant workers in my town are being excused from seeing patients who are positive or with a pending test.
Then get fired with your lawyer and osha on the phone. If you’re a doctor you will get another job.

Then get fired with your lawyer and osha on the phone. If you’re a doctor you will get another job.

If you’re a resident you might have a hard time getting another position.

Also, problem is that hospitals are making policies based on CDC and other inappropriate guidelines that are being made based on available PPE rather than science. So, good luck to you and your lawyer. Don’t expect OSHA to stand behind you.

Reactions: 3 users
If you’re a resident you might have a hard time getting another position.

Also, problem is that hospitals are making policies based on CDC and other inappropriate guidelines that are being made based on available PPE rather than science. So, good luck to you and your lawyer. Don’t expect OSHA to stand behind you.
We all have our choices to make in life