Pregnant while taking the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rvelvetcupcake

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Was anyone here pregnant while taking the MCAT? My husband and I are looking to have our first before I apply to school next year. I was wondering when would be a good time to take the MCAT (mid second trimester or mid third trimester? i.e., january vs march). I need to decide which test date to register for..

Any thoughts / advise / insight would be appreciated!
:)

Members don't see this ad.

In talking to women who have been pregnant and some who have taken the MCAT while pregnant, I would say the earlier in your pregnancy the better. You are going to be more uncomfortable as the pregnancy goes on and this will make it more difficult to sit for 5-6 hours and hold out for the two bathroom breaks.

Reactions: 1 user
I think either would be fine but you'll probably be more comfortable 2nd trimester. Just steer clear of 1st trimester in case of bad morning sickness.

Members don't see this ad :)
In general, you want to stay away from the first trimester and third trimester, as that is when you are/can be the most uncomfortable.

First trimester can be full of dizziness, any slight odors can cause nausea, random vomiting (it's called morning sickness, but for some it can be all day sickness), and being just plain exhausted.

Third trimester you feel huge, you may be swollen, you can't bend over, aren't comfortable in the same position for any length of time, and have no control over when you baby decides it is play time.

I would look at the window between about 18-22/24 weeks as the best time, as sometimes symptoms from first trimester can last until 16,17, or 18 weeks.

Good luck!

it's called morning sickness, but for some it can be all day sickness

That's what I had the first time around. I remember being at a business conference and having to take a seat near the door, so I could keep running to the bathroom.

There's another first-trimester phenomenon I've heard people mention (although it didn't happen to me): "baby brain." This generally means having trouble thinking straight, difficulty remembering things, etc. Not exactly what you'd want when taking the MCAT.

I agree with Crelal that the second trimester is your best bet. But I must say I admire your courage in being willing to take this on. I found the MCAT quite a challenge without being pregnant.

Good luck with your adventure.

Hi everyone,

Was anyone here pregnant while taking the MCAT? My husband and I are looking to have our first before I apply to school next year. I was wondering when would be a good time to take the MCAT (mid second trimester or mid third trimester? i.e., january vs march). I need to decide which test date to register for..

Any thoughts / advise / insight would be appreciated!
:)

First off good for you that is awesome! Many of my friends have become ridiculously forgetful during all phases of pregnancy - especially things they have done every day for years! I suppose everyone is different, but for me it would be more a comfort thing and being sure I wasn't going to be all pukky in the middle of the test, and of course needing to pee every 30 minutes... '+) Thankfully we don't have to do the old fashioned kind when they were in the test for like eight hours or something... Best of luck to you. You are my hero of the day.

I was 4 months pregnant when I took MCAT 1st time. It was horrible. Had to visit bathroom during each break, was sooooo stressed out and hungry. It was not the best experience, didn't do so well. Retook it when the baby was 3 months old. Was not much easier with all that 20 night feedings and full time job :), but my brain worked much better. Good luck to you and your baby!

Congratulations, rvelvetcupcake!

I took the MCAT for the first time while 7mo pregnant, and I still have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, even though I didn't do nearly as well as I hoped, the experience of testing in the actual center was tremendously different even than the online practice tests and having that experience was valuable. I also (eventually) came away from it with a feeling of, "Well, if I can pull off passable under lousy circumstances, then I bet I can take this sucker again and do better." (I was also one month into a new job and dealing with truly awful weather conditions in the week leading up to the test).

That said, restless nights (because your hips and back just plain hurt there toward the end) and difficulty concentrating take their toll, and depending on your testing site, those necessary bathroom breaks and snack breaks eat into your zen time between sections.

All else being equal - that is, if I had been ready at an earlier time - I would have chosen to take it while less pregnant. Morning sickness can be bad up to 15wks or so, but you throw up and then you go back to work. In many other ways, you'll probably feel great. Later on, the physical strain is more constant. Either choice is still better than trying to take it after the baby arrives. It can take time to recover physically - maybe more than you're banking on. You're not going to get any sleep for a while and the emotional roller coaster is also rough on concentration. That beautiful little creature that is living right up under your heart will be 18 inches further away and for me, even though it was my second child and I knew the drill, that was reason enough to cry like my heart was breaking.

The most powerful thing about taking the MCAT earlier is knowing that if everything crashes and burns the first time around, you can take it again, with better perspective. I did, though I had to wait a year - and I did do better. Whatever your choice and whatever the outcome, be determined to keep trying.

DO NOT DO IT!!!!!:scared: That parasite who you will love more than life itself will suck ALLLLLL of your brain cells ... and good oxygenated blood right out of you!!!!! I took it when I was on my 10th week and must have got up about 3-4 times for :barf:still to this day I can't understand why since I hardly barfd thoughout that pregancy (only at the sight of red meat) it must have been the nerves! Plus the horrible disconfort of a continum nausea, and dry mouth and of course thirst....OHHHHH wait! and the sleepy feeling the entire day!!!! I just wanted to die! So the end result was an 18N:eek: yep!
If you must (I strongly advise against) do it during the 2nd trimester between 5th and 6th, but NOT 7th and beyond wow that must be really bad too! So good luck with your decision. I had my last baby:xf::D she is now 17 months and am re-studying for the Jan MCAT!

I also advise taking the MCAT during your 2nd trimester. I took an MCAT the first time when I was in my 3rd trimester--bad mistake. My legs were cramping, I had sciatica, and I wasn't allowed to walk around. By the end of the test I felt like all the blood in my body had pooled around my ankles, and I could barely walk out of the test room. Not to mention every passage I read made me about ready to burst into tears for no good reason.

Congratulations on your pregnancy, and good luck, Mama!

I also advise taking the MCAT during your 2nd trimester. I took an MCAT the first time when I was in my 3rd trimester--bad mistake. My legs were cramping, I had sciatica, and I wasn't allowed to walk around. By the end of the test I felt like all the blood in my body had pooled around my ankles, and I could barely walk out of the test room. Not to mention every passage I read made me about ready to burst into tears for no good reason.

Congratulations on your pregnancy, and good luck, Mama!

I am one week from being in the third trimester, and I have to say - things aren't as shiny and happy as they were this summer. That would put me around 16-20 weeks. I would shoot for that time period, because I felt great, had a ton of energy, didn't need naps etc. Now, it is tough without my daily nap. Let me tell you how much sometimes that doesn't happen as a medical student. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sad, right? Anyway - based on my experience - I would definitely avoid the third trimester. I also felt like poo during the first. I had "pregnancy brain" and recalling information seemed harder too. It was just a rough time.

I took the MCAT about 6 weeks before delivering the baby... it wasn't too fun. I was hot, had to pee all the time, and couldn't concentrate. I did fine but not as well as I could have judging from my performances on other exams. But it all worked out in the end.

Good luck. Remember the MCAT is nothing compared to the USMLE exams you will take later on...

I'm a resident and the mother of a toddler. I have to say, taking the MCAT while pregnant will see like a joke compared to what comes next. The timing of your exam is the least of your worries, I promise. Seriously, take it whenever, then get on with the business of pulling your big girl panties on, because combining motherhood and medical training is not for wimps.

Reactions: 1 users
If you are VERY worried about the timing, 16-24 weeks is the best in general, though every woman and every pregnancy can be as different as night and day. I took the MCAT about a week and a half after I found out I was pregnant with my second (so about 6 weeks). I just got a good night's sleep the night beforehand and made sure to bring some healthy, non-offensive smelling snacks and ate before I was really hungry. This is REALLY important, since you will probably find that even though you are sick and don't want to eat, the sickness is actually worse on an empty stomach.

Otherwise, as yada.... said, study hard and then suck it up. Is it the easiest thing in the world? No (but I'd like to know what is, if you know :rolleyes:). But it is extremely far from the hardest thing ever. Btw, I did just fine, no retakes necessary.

I second the don't do it!

I scheduled my MCAT for when I would have been 7 months pregnant with my second son. I also took O-Chem courses & an MCAT Prep course at night (in addition to my full-time job), and found that right about 20 weeks, my brain function went way down. It was all I could do to eke out an A minus in the O-Chem class.

I would describe brain processing, especially during that third trimester, kind of like swimming through mud. I could still learn all the information, but it took so much longer--instead of one hour, it would take 3 (it was like slower brain processing/retention). Recall was also just as bad, if I was able to recall at all!

I am so glad I canceled that test. Initially I re-scheduled it for after the baby was born, but there was no way that would have worked either--there was no time to study/prepare/sleep for the MCAT until the baby was about 3 months old--not to mention figuring out breast-feeding/pumping options and not wanting to be in pain for the test!

I ended up taking it when my second son was 1 (my older son is 3). It worked out very well--I had time to study, I was done breastfeeding, my brain was back-- And I got just one point below the score I wanted. And I found out last Friday I've been accepted to Med School--class of 2015!

Good luck to you--having kids changed my life, but also refocused my goals and made me pursue this dream more than ever. It is tough to juggle everything, but I've found it was easier to prioritize--study time is time away from the kids, so I've got to make it count! Good luck to you!

I'm a resident and the mother of a toddler. I have to say, taking the MCAT while pregnant will see like a joke compared to what comes next. The timing of your exam is the least of your worries, I promise. Seriously, take it whenever, then get on with the business of pulling your big girl panties on, because combining motherhood and medical training is not for wimps.

Thank you so much for these words of encouragement! I have already scheduled my MCAT test date and the earliest I could get is when I am at my 32nd week of pregnancy with my first baby. I am a little bit of worried about it because of the horror stories I hear about being in the 3rd trimester, but I figured this is the best time for me to do it, when the baby hasn't arrived yet. I just need to be a confident about this because for sure, this is nothing compared to what I plan on putting myself and my family to when I become a doctor someday.

Make sure your baby is not helping you with answers. Could be considered cheating.

The pregnancy referred to in the OP is now a six year old kid. Way to go on the thread necromancy.