Prejudice, discrimination...

Started by deleted390966
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted390966

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone ever talked about being treated with prejudice on the application? Is it ever appropriate to mention such experience, or is it a very subtle ground to tread on?

I'm not an URM, I'm an Asian immigrant but I've faced prejudice & discrimination many times both at school and at work... and it's definitely one of the huge obstacles that I've had to overcome thus far.
 
Has anyone ever talked about being treated with prejudice on the application? Is it ever appropriate to mention such experience, or is it a very subtle ground to tread on?

I'm not an URM, I'm an Asian immigrant but I've faced prejudice & discrimination many times both at school and at work... and it's definitely one of the huge obstacles that I've had to overcome thus far.



it would make for a mighty ironic essay....get ready to face even more prejudice & discrimination during the admissions process 👎
 
if you decide to write about that, you should probably go for the "how i addressed my problem" angle and not the "i'm asian" aspect of it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Statistically, Asians have the lowest chance of getting in/lower chances compared with other races given any particular GPA/MCAT combination.


I thought asians and caucasians had pretty much equal chances...
(but I could be wrong)
 
They're similar, but still different.

Thanks for the link! I'm surprised that the % acceptance differences between asian and caucasian are magnified as the GPA/MCAT decreases...

ie. low MCAT/GPA caucasians have higher chances of being accepted than low MCAT/GPA asians, but at high stats it barely matters
 
Thanks for the link! I'm surprised that the % acceptance differences between asian and caucasian are magnified as the GPA/MCAT decreases...

ie. low MCAT/GPA caucasians have higher chances of being accepted than low MCAT/GPA asians, but at high stats it barely matters

Well at extreme high and low stats there isn't much of a difference between races. If you're a 4.0/40 you most likely will get in somewhere...If you're 2.0/20 you most likely won't regardless of your race.

It's towards the middle (where the majority of applicants, by definition, lie) where the blatant prejudice takes place.
 
Well at extreme high and low stats there isn't much of a difference between races. If you're a 4.0/40 you most likely will get in somewhere...If you're 2.0/20 you most likely won't regardless of your race.

It's towards the middle (where the majority of applicants, by definition, lie) where the blatant prejudice takes place.

What? The difference is like 2% for 3.6 and 33 people. That is not even close to blatant.
 
It's towards the middle (where the majority of applicants, by definition, lie) where the blatant prejudice takes place.

...because correlation = causation? Yes, Asian applicants yield a lower acceptance rate therefore they must be discriminated against because of their ethnicity. This theory is robust and addresses all possible variables. 🙄
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad