Prelim Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

broadbasedbud

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone received an interview for prelim medicine year yet? Or know when I should expect these? I have heard they come a little later than TY interviews, but wasn't sure if this was true.

Members don't see this ad.

i have received a few, all spread out (west coast, midwest, and east coast). when you would expect them probably largely depends on which programs you applied to.

I've received 2 out of 4 as of 10/12. One of those is for my own school's IM program.

Members don't see this ad :)
i've received 10/27 prelim internal medicine interviews all spread out like determinator (west, south, midwest, north).

if you're curious about specific programs, a few people (including me) have been posting prelim medicine interview invites on the internal medicine interview invite thread (but this is mostly for categorical IM applicants). also, i've been following auntminnie (for radiology applicants) - there is a prelim/TY interview invite thread there that includes many more prelim/TYs than the internal medicine thread.

Why on earth are you applying to so many Prelim programs? They're not usually very competitive.

And on that note, why do so many Derm applicants prefer prelim over TY? You could not have paid me enough to do a prelim. I'm loving my TY. Two months of wards, no ICU, 6 months of electives -- it's the life.

fidicinal, i asked myself the same question. my prelim adviser at my school suggested applying to 25-30 so i just went with it. personally, my reason for doing a prelim is because there were less than a handful of TYs that i wanted to do location-wise so i decided to just apply to prelims to keep it simple.

Why on earth are you applying to so many Prelim programs? They're not usually very competitive.

And on that note, why do so many Derm applicants prefer prelim over TY? You could not have paid me enough to do a prelim. I'm loving my TY. Two months of wards, no ICU, 6 months of electives -- it's the life.

God forbid someone wants to get a solid background in internal medicine!

6 straight months of Wards/Call was rough. One of my buddy's who is in IM had 7, probably the most out of all of those who did PGY1 IM with me. Sure did learn a ton. Don't know how. But the model works somehow...

My personal reason for only going prelim was that I found the idea of doing a TY kind of boring. I'm actually looking forward to a year learning and doing IM, although I'm sure it will be quite trying (and maybe I will be eating my words next year :p).

Something I've heard from others who are applying prelim is that it is looked upon more favorably by derm programs in the case that someone does not match, which can happen even to excellent candidates applying for derm. This is probably not much of a problem for solid candidates applying to other specialties requiring prelim/TY year.

You will find yourself using tons of IM sprinkled in your Derm clinics, no joke. I don't think you will be eating your words after the year is over. During the year, you may think to yourself, "Why did I do this?" The answer will soon follow when starting PGY2 in Dermatology. :)

You will find yourself using tons of IM sprinkled in your Derm clinics, no joke. I don't think you will be eating your words after the year is over. During the year, you may think to yourself, "Why did I do this?" The answer will soon follow when starting PGY2 in Dermatology. :)

Seriously? Can I have some examples? This terrifies me. I'm planning on wiping everything I know about managing diabetes and repleting magnesium from the memory banks to make room for Andrews.

I will use one of your examples. Initially thought you wrote potassium as well. But you might appreciate the example none the less. :)

1. Diabetes. You might want to think twice before doing leg and foot/toe biopsies before you go cutting. It's not that you can't do them. But you better have really good reason. When sending a diabetic dude to Mohs you had better manage that diabetes by telling the patient to bring some food for the long day. Would hate to hear your patient went hypoglycemic on you.

2. Potassium... Spironolactone for acne treatment... It isn't maybe what you'd do first line. But it can be indicated in some cases. Make sure to check potassium levels.

The list goes on and on. It's why you went to medcial school. Please do not erase anything from memory. In fact, try to spare your cerebral data base. :)