prelim medicine and the what-if's...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

H0mersimps0n

HMO CRUSHER
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
trying to decide what to do with my PGY1 year being that I'm applying for a PGY2 speciality (radiology).

While the options remain transitional year, prelim med, prelim surg, etc, I'm starting to move toward prelim medicine IF I think I understand this right.

OK, so worst case scenario is I don't match or scramble into a PGY2 position this year, I'll at least have SOMETHING for PGY1 (prelim medicine).

My concern is that after 1 or 2 or 3 years of trying for radiology I'll have wasted 3 years of my career doing useless transitional year and still have 250k in loans hanging over my head accruing interest with no certification in anything.

Basically I want to try to work toward SOMETHING while trying to apply to radiology and was wondering if someone could tell me the liklihood of continuing onto a second year of medicine at the same place or somewhere else should I match prelim med this year and then fail to match radiology the next two years (or even yet, match a "PGY2" position on my second try which would basically enter me into radiology my 4th year out having completed 3 years of "something")...

Sorry if this is confusing, I'm just trying to make sure I'm working toward something and not wasting my time with so much money in loans hanging over my head.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

From what I understand, most radiology programs require 1 year preliminary (medicine, surgery etc), however if you don't match into a radiology program after your preliminary year, and do another year of medicine or whatever, it will not count as your second radiology year, if you don't match into radiology, you can either extend your medicine curriculum and reapply, or if you are in the proper state, you can finish your one year of medicine, and apply to become a GP, that way you can try and pay off loans as you await radiology.

Good luck

ya I know that medicine years don't count toward the 4-years of radiology, I just wanted to know if people who don't match the first, second or even god-forbid third time can move from a PGY-1 prelim med residenct into a PGY-2/3 medicine residency with ease or if I would have to reapply or start all over again as a PGY-1 medicine resident...

Members don't see this ad :)
You can move on and continue as a PGY-2 in medicine. I know a few people who didn't match into their advanced specialty (rads and rad onc) and were able to continue on as medicine residents. I don't know if its quite as easy in surgery, but in medicine, it definitely is possible. The main thing is that you do a decent job during your prelim year and get on your PD's good side. After that, you stand a good chance. Your PGY-1 prelim year would count as you do the exact same curriculum as the categoricals.

The only difference in many places is the lack of a weekly half-day continuity clinic for prelim interns. That definitely makes things easy during your ward month :cool: If you continue on in medicine, they may take away a couple of your PGY-2/3 electives to make up that clinic. In any case, you should be able to make it out in 3 years.

that's fine if I have to make up for lost clinical time (ugh)...

...I mean it makes good sense to work toward something at least while trying for what I really want right?

I mean an osteopathic internship or transitional year get me zilch if I don't match rads...

sucks coming from a helpless school

I e-mailed the assistant PD of the medicine program at my school regarding opportunities to continue as a categorical medicine resident if a student matched into a Prelim IM position without securing a PGY-2 position, and received the following response:

<<That's a good question.

Of course when you do a preliminary program it is only a spot for one
year, and there is no obligation by the program to offer you anything
else. However, it is not uncommon for prelim candidates to either
change their mind, or simply not match in their desired specialty. We
have taken several prelims into our categorical program, but only when
we have openings in our program. The RRC allows a program a certain
number of slots, and that cannot be changed on a short notice.

So, the short part of your question is that yes programs can take you
into the categorical program if they have openings. If I were you and
you have concern about your ability to match in radiology, make sure the
prelim programs you match are places you would like to do categorical
medicine as well.
>>

again, this situation can only occur if you choose to rank prelim programs in your primary rank order list (i.e., not just in your secondary rank order list). I found the nrmp website to be somewhat helpful . . . although I have yet to find any specific information regarding the likelihood of continuing a medicine residency if only a prelim position was secured in the match.