Prelim year vs. Transitional --Stronger Applicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sublingual

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard that either years are good prior to starting Ophthalmology PGY-2. But, what if you did not apply for match this year and plan on doing the prelim or transitional year prior to applying for the SF Match? Would you be a stronger applicant doing one or the other? Personally, I am more interested in doing the one year Prelim in Surgery: 1) This is because Surgery is my second choice and if I dont match into ophthal I can try to apply the PGY-1 year credits to a Categorical surgery program (i.e. get into a PGY-2 Cat Surgery program). 2) I have a feeling ophthal programs would see you as hard working and a better applicant than doing a trans year or a prelim medicine year.

Any advice on this? Am I on the right tract? Can it hurt me to do a prelim surgery year?:D

Members don't see this ad.

Where you do your prelim/transitional/internship year will not affect your competitiveness for ophthalmology. If you're interested in surgery as a second option, then I advise that you take this route.

Good luck!

Originally posted by Ophtho_MudPhud
Where you do your prelim/transitional/internship year will not affect your competitiveness for ophthalmology. If you're interested in surgery as a second option, then I advise that you take this route.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply.

Did you mean to say "where" or "whether"?: