Prelim Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that one needs to match into a prelim year or transitional year concurrently with the RadOnc residency program.

I understand what the transitional year is (rotations in various fields), but for the prelim year--is it essentially equivalent to an internship year in a particular field? Can someone do a prelim year in anything (ie Emergency Medicine) or are they restricted to certain fields?

I was able to find a list of transitional year programs on Frieda, but couldn't find a list of prelim year programs--can anyone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You can do either a transitional year or preliminary year during your internship prior to starting your rad onc residency. Prelim years are primarily in medicine and surgery. I don't know of any EM prelim years that exist. Prelim programs can be found on ERAS when you search for medicine/surgery programs, they will have an option to click for preliminary.

EM doesnt count...see below (from the acgme website)

Resident education in radiation oncology must include five years of accredited, clinically-oriented graduate medical education. The first year of postgraduate clinical training must be spent in internal medicine, family medicine, obstetrics/gynecology, surgery or surgical specialties, pediatrics, or a transitional year program. This PGY-1 year must include at least nine months of direct patient care in medical and/or surgical specialties other than radiation oncology. This clinical experience must then be followed by four years focused in radiation oncology.