prelim years and categorical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loveumms

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, hopefully this will make sense.

When applying for anesthesia, some programs have categorical positions where you can do your “prelim” year at the same place as the anesthesia residency. Ideally I would love to go to one place for all four years however most places have only a couple categorical spots so I don’t want to apply for only categorical and knock myself out of the advanced positions. So, should I be applying to both categorical and advanced or just one?

Also, is there any way to rank the prelim years so that the residency and prelim years go together? So that if I apply to Penn State both anesthesia and prelim I would be able to rank them together for both - that way I only have to move once? I have a feeling this is not possible but figured I would try.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

loveumms said:
Alright, hopefully this will make sense.

When applying for anesthesia, some programs have categorical positions where you can do your “prelim” year at the same place as the anesthesia residency. Ideally I would love to go to one place for all four years however most places have only a couple categorical spots so I don’t want to apply for only categorical and knock myself out of the advanced positions. So, should I be applying to both categorical and advanced or just one?

Also, is there any way to rank the prelim years so that the residency and prelim years go together? So that if I apply to Penn State both anesthesia and prelim I would be able to rank them together for both - that way I only have to move once? I have a feeling this is not possible but figured I would try.

Thanks!

click on the box in the NRMP and rank both the categorical and advanced spots. done deal.

rank all the anes programs you want in the order of preference then rank all your prelim years in order of preference or location.

loveumms said:
Also, is there any way to rank the prelim years so that the residency and prelim years go together?
When you do your rank order list, there are two columns. In the first column is your primary list which will be anesthesia programs both categorial and advanced. The second column will only be available next to the advanced programs. In the second column you choose secondary list 1, secondary list 2, etc. I don't remember if it's actually called secondary list but it's something like that. You can make as many secondary lists as you want, so you can have a different one for each city or to go with each advanced program or whatever.
For example:
It could look like this:

1) Anesth Program in City A - categorical
2) Anesth Program in City A - advanced ..... 2nd list 1
3) Anesth Program in City B - categorical
4) Anesth Program in City C - advanced ...... 2nd list 2
5) Anesth Program in City D - advanced ...... 2nd list 3
6) Anesth Program2 in City A - advanced .... 2nd list 1

Secondary list 1) 1 transitional in city A, 2 prelim in city A, 3 TY city E, etc.
secondary list 2) 1 transitional in city C, 2 transitional in city E, etc.
secondary list 3) 1 transitional in city D, 2 prelim in city D, 3 TY city E, etc.

Also, you can rank prelims and transitional in your primary list, but you will only match into that program and no advanced progam if you get it, so you'd probably only put them at the end of your primary list.

Did that make sense?
This is probably explained clearly on the match website.