Prelim yr: Med, Surg, or Transitional?

Started by cubsfan
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cubsfan

Resident
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi-

I have been a "lurker" for awhile, but finally signed up. I am a 3rd year interested in PMR--I already did a rotation my 3rd year and I am taking some time off b/w 3rd and 4th year to do some research in PMR or Ortho...but I also was very curious about the preliminary year. I really like surgery, but I have read that many PMR residents to a transition year or medicine...does it matter?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
 
Mmmmmmm first drunk post in a while 😀

Matters on the programs you are interested in. Some programs (UMich & RIC that I know off the top of my head) prefer that you do a prelim medicine internship over a TY because they want 6 & 7 months IM respectively.

If you enjoy surgery, you can see if a prelim surgery spot is acceptable to individual programs you are interested in, but on the inpatient side, it helps to have a decent understanding/treatment of run-of-the mill medicine stuff on top of PM&R inpatient specific pathology/treatment.

Why would you volunteer for Q4 11 mo during a prelim surgery spot 😛 ?