Preliminary Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Curly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What step 1 score would be indicative of someone who should apply to not only categorical programs but also prelim programs?

How many programs should someone apply to if you recommend them applying to both? (e.g. 50% categorical and 50% prelim, etc.)

Members don't see this ad.

What step 1 score would be indicative of someone who should apply to not only categorical programs but also prelim programs?

How many programs should someone apply to if you recommend them applying to both? (e.g. 50% categorical and 50% prelim, etc.)

I don't think anyone could give you a meaningful answer to this question based on Step I score alone. When we give our students advice at my program, we look at their complete application to try and help them figure out where and how to tailor their application.

The stickies for this forum point out that "WAMC" type threads are notoriously difficult to answer with any reliability...and that's typically when people list all their stats. To try and boil the recommendations down based purely on Step I score is not going to be useful.

Reactions: 1 user
Can someone briefly explain to me what the general strategy is regarding preliminary and categorical programs? I understood that preliminary positions were for students interested in sub specializing in something else after completing 2 years of GS. If a student is interested in GS, what value does completing a preliminary program have? Are there PGY-3 GS spots consistently available?

Can someone briefly explain to me what the general strategy is regarding preliminary and categorical programs? I understood that preliminary positions were for students interested in sub specializing in something else after completing 2 years of GS. If a student is interested in GS, what value does completing a preliminary program have? Are there PGY-3 GS spots consistently available?

There are two types of preliminary programs.

"Designated" preliminary programs are for applicants going on to an advanced field that requires a general surgery intern year. These are being offered less and less as most subspecialties simply roll their intern year into the categorical residency.

"Non-designated" preliminary programs are one year positions with no guarantee of advancement. Honestly, they are for people who can't match into a general surgery or subspecialty slot. That's about it. They offer no advantage over a categorical spot. The value of them is that you are employed and can potentially make contacts to get you a categorical position after completing the prelim year.