preliminary scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdpcat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are the preliminary scores basically what you got on the actual final score sent to colleges? thank you:)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how the essays are added into the final composite score?
They aren't, it's a separate score all together.

Scoring of Writing Section:For the essay response, the scale used varies from 0 to 5. The essay is judged for two important aspects, Conventions of Language and Problem Solving. Each of these is given a separate score by two examiners. In case their scores differ by one point, the average of the two scores is reported. The final scores reported for the essay are thus average scores and range from 0 to 5 with half point increments. If, however, they differ in their opinions by more than one point, then an additional scorer is called in for scoring the essay.
The mean Writing subtest scores of all test takers who appeared for the same PCAT exam as you are also reported. This is done for the purpose of making comparisons, as percentile ranks for the Writing subtest are not reported.
The writing score points are explained to assist schools in understanding the level of competence in words, rather than figures. A score of 5 represents ‘superior’ capability and 4 stands for an ‘efficient’ level. A score of 3 represents ‘adequate’ performance, whereas a score of 2 represents ‘limited’ and 1 signifies ‘weak’ performance.

Just talked with a Pearson rep on the phone. I asked her about the preliminary scores and whether or not they were a good representation of the actual scores. She said it would be "a very,very, rare circumstance that the preliminary score would be anything different than the final score" and that "frankly, the preliminary score is your final score".

So there you have it folks!

gaaaah :(.. There goes my hope of my score being a little higher than 65 % composite :(

Just talked with a Pearson rep on the phone. I asked her about the preliminary scores and whether or not they were a good representation of the actual scores. She said it would be "a very,very, rare circumstance that the preliminary score would be anything different than the final score" and that "frankly, the preliminary score is your final score".

So there you have it folks!

:thumbup:
Thanks for calling Pearson!

My official score was exactly the same as my preliminary.... I took the July 27th exam and received my online official score today.

Hey I got mine score too, I also took it on the 27th and exact same as my preliminary report sheet:)

Last edited: